my so called music career, i need to hear from you

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+25 (my son's age)

Yeah, I would concede that. But who made them that way? We did, our society, our culture. Us, as parents. I'm just as guilty as everyone else. My kids don't understand the concept of "allowance." Why should they, when all of their relatives buy them loads of crap? When we've got a TV with a million stations in practically every room? When we've got the Internet, ie unlimited virtual entertainment? Our kids have 100 times more options than we did. It's not like we did it on purpose.

I'm sure people have written all kinds of books and papers as to why this is. It isn't called the Information Age for nothing. Our kids are growing up with access to a billion times more information than we had, and information is power. I think that for the kids coming up today, there will always be a job for bright, creative people who work well with others and are used to solving problems. And the widget cranking jobs will be fewer and fewer.

This is way too deep a topic for a forum thread, I do know that. You guys should work with some of the high school kids I've worked with, though... there are plenty of kids who will be ready and able to move us all forward, in the future. There are great kids out there waiting for their opportunity to be grown-ups and keep things going. You spend an hour with some of these kids and you'll feel a lot better about things.

There are also tons of kids who think the world owes them a living. The great kids are going to have no problem taking all the jobs and making a difference, and the other kids are going to discover that the widget cranking jobs have vanished and their choices will be few.

Will this result in a larger lower class? Can education compensate? Ha ha ha! No! We're far too busy trying to get our kids to spit back answers on standardized tests, rather than getting them to be more creative problem solvers and work better with others. Thank the federal and state governments for that. Places like Finland kick our ass in standardized exams because they teach LESS CONTENT so they can teach it deeper, and better. We teach a mile wide and an inch deep.

This is why, by the way, music is so important, along with art, dance, and drama. Anything that encourages creativity will help our students, because we're not going to need widget cranking in the future - we're going to need creative problem solving.

End rant.

• Members

I'm sure people have written all kinds of books and papers as to why this is. It isn't called the Information Age for nothing. Our kids are growing up with access to a billion times more information than we had, and information is power. I think that for the kids coming up today, there will always be a job for bright, creative people who work well with others and are used to solving problems. And the widget cranking jobs will be fewer and fewer.

This is way too deep a topic for a forum thread, I do know that. You guys should work with some of the high school kids I've worked with, though... there are plenty of kids who will be ready and able to move us all forward, in the future. There are great kids out there waiting for their opportunity to be grown-ups and keep things going. You spend an hour with some of these kids and you'll feel a lot better about things.

+50 Yes, we do have access to more information than you guys did :cool: Unfortunately, we're still susceptible to making the same stupid mistakes that all young people have made since the beginning of time...like getting drunk off two entire handles of vodka and whiskey and skinny dipping in someone else's pool at 2 am :facepalm:...:p

• Members

+50 Yes, we do have access more information than you guys did m
:facepalm:
:p

:cool:

Yup...and information is not knowledge.

Knowledge is not wisdom. Etc.

Let's leave it there and go back to the heart of this thread.

What will it take for a generation to get into music? Maybe a charismatic superstar (or band) with the whole package: Great songwriting, great vocals and musicianship, great presentation, etc.

As for getting people to appreciate local bands in decent numbers: I still subscribe to the theory that enough people have seen enough crappy bands to convince them it isn't worth the effort to find the good ones anymore.

• Members

As for getting people to appreciate local bands in decent numbers: I still subscribe to the theory that enough people have seen enough crappy bands to convince them it isn't worth the effort to find the good ones anymore.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

• Members

What will it take for a generation to get into music?

I feel to some extent one has to be about more than music these days. You have to create a kind of movement or lifestyle. People want to be a part of something and feel as if they're components within a scene or community. From the early rock n rollers in the 50's, to the hippies at Haight Ashbury, to punk rock guys in the late 70's and early 80's, to G-Unit and 50 Cent today. All of these people sparked movements and created brands alongside their music.

• Members

I feel to some extent one has to be about more than music these days. You have to create a kind of movement or lifestyle. People want to be a part of something and feel as if they're components within a scene or community. From the early rock n rollers in the 50's, to the hippies at Haight Ashbury, to punk rock guys in the late 70's and early 80's, to G-Unit and 50 Cent today. All of these people sparked movements and created brands alongside their music.

There has always been a scene around music and musicians. It is a simple concept, really, every musician needs an audience, therein lies the root of it. If you have a following, you have a "scene" and the bigger, the better the identity.

Archived