emg 81/85 or 81/60 combo?

bball_1523

• Members

I say the 85 in the bridge and the 60 in the neck. The 60 has pretty good cleans and I like the 85 in the bridge way better than the 81. The 81 has a tendency to sound thin to my ears where as the 85 sounds fatter.

• Members

I say the 85 in the bridge and the 60 in the neck. The 60 has pretty good cleans and I like the 85 in the bridge way better than the 81. The 81 has a tendency to sound thin to my ears where as the 85 sounds fatter.

After spending last night listening to pickup clips, I agree 100%!

• Members

+1 -- maybe even a 60A in the neck?

• Members

It all depends on the guitar woods and what you are looking for. I have an 81 on my ltd guitar and it sounds great (lots of crunch/high mids), while on my rich there's an 85 it packs more of a low-mid punch with a smoother top and a darker/softer tone :thu:

If you are getting them new, try the Emg 60 A (alnico magnet). I recommend doing the 18volt mod too if you don't put an 81 on the bridge, since it makes that pup sound too bright.

• Members

well i tried it and didnt like it....i guess it just depends on the guitar a bit as well...either way 60 in the neck

I agree. I tried an 81 on my rich, and that guitar just sounds better with the 85. While on the other hand, i wouldn't even consider taking out the 81 outta the horizon.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

81/60 is the best without a doubt....85 is way to bassy and boomy in the bridge.

I would agree here. I have one guitar with an 81/81 setup, and have played a similar guitar with a 60 in the neck, and it gave that fatter neck tone that I liked. I have another guitar with an 85 in the bridge, and while it sounds nice for chugging metal (palm muting and etc), it doesn't give you the lead tones that you need, though its great for a rhythm guitar..

IMHO, I think of the bridge in this fashion:

If you are doing the leads, then go with the 81

If you are doing mostly rhythm, then the 85 may be better suited.

but on the neck, the 60 is a better pickup hands down..

• Members

81 bridge/ 85 or 89 neck. Either way, 81 bridge FTW. :thu: Haven't tried the 18v mod myself, (planning on doing it next week actually) but will recommend the PA-2 pre, like King uses. I use the added gain for Killer rhythm crunch, squeals, increased harmonic dynamics, and feedback. On a clean channel, it acts as a solo(volume) boost :thu:

Archived