Can you help me identify the pickups in the Strat I just bought?

Sheraton

• Members

I just picked up a Deluxe Players Strat off Craigslist for $250. It has some non-original parts and the guy I bought it from didn't seem to have the best answers to my questions about it.

It has USA made Sperzels and graphite saddles, unknown brand but they look OK. The body and neck are original and look good.

I asked if it had the original Vintage Noiseless pickups and he said it did, but they didn't look like it. The pickups look to be Alnico magnet Fenders maybe.

The bridge is 8.31K middle 7.39k, neck 7.54k They have the numbers 016730 stamped in the base. They sound crisp but are not adjusted correctly and the whole guitar needs a setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Members

The 016730 is common for Fender pickups. I have two totally different Fender pickups, both of which have that serial number (it's actually the serial number of the bobbin, rather than the whole pickup, if I remember right). That's about all I the info I can give you.

fenderpickup.gif

(not my photo)

• Members

Noiseless and SCNs are both labeled as such. With ohm readings like that I'd guess they are Texas Specials.

It really is annoying that Fender doesn't label their pickups. I've got the same problem - bought some used ones off the net and one of them is the best Strat bridge pickup I've ever heard. But the guy who sold it to me didn't know what it was, and there's no way of finding out.

You got a great deal on that Strat anyway. Does the bridge pickup have two black Phillips-head screws in the bottom? That might narrow it down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey, I also just bought a used, 1999 Deluxe Players Strat. The pickups have identical bobbins and DC resistance readings. Perhaps the vintage noiseless pickups came later and these were standard for earlier DX Player Strats? The resistance readings don't seems to match anything I've heard about.

• 5 years later...
  • Members
Noiseless and SCNs are both labeled as such. With ohm readings like that I'd guess they are Texas Specials..

TX specials have cloth covered vintage type wire and fiber, not plastic bobbins.

Those are likely new inexpensive pups. There may be hum canceling between the middle and either neck or bridge but they aren't noiseless. This doesn't mean they wont sound good, its just an area you can improve on if they don't get you what you want. I'd get the guitar set up and see where you need to go from there. Worry bout the pickups if they don't get you want you need.

Archived