Can a tele handle Hard Rock/Metal?

• Members

So I was looking around on the internet and I found a few wonderful pictures of this G&L ASAT:

ASAT%20Classic%20TBSB%20Quilt%2015.jpg

(this picture is a link to more pictures)

... and I really fell in love with its classy look to the point of seriously considering my next guitar purchase to be a similar guitar. The problem is that I don't play any type of music usually attributed with Telecasters.

So is it possible to play hard rock or metal on a guitar like this or am I to look elsewhere for a less classy-looking guitar to play my heavier music on?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you love the dual-HB rock sound (LP, SG, etc.), that's about the only solid-body sound a single-coil Tele can't *quite* give you.

Although on many Tele configurations, the middle position gets kind of close... just not as high output. Use a boost circuit of some kind and you're almost there.

• Members

So is it possible to play hard rock or metal on a guitar like this or am I to look elsewhere for a less classy-looking guitar to play my heavier music on?

Metal, I don't know. Probably with the right setup. Rock for sure. Get yourself a Bad Monkey, treble down a quarter, bass up about a third, treble pickup with the tone rolled off a bit. The right amp and you rock.

• Members

teles can do anything. maybe not in a traditional nail the tone way, but they can produce sounds you can do anything with.

a good, brash tele into a nasty amp is one pissed off sound.

fwiw, tom morello has used one for a long time, and he gets pretty heavy (like him or not).

• Members

Some of the people posting have the keep in mind that the players they're mentioning use heavily modified guitars, even if the body style is still a tele. The OP is asking about a more traditional tele, or was originally, at least.

Hell, put an EMG in a slab of wood screwed to another slab of wood with a metal bridge, frets, and tuners, and it's made for metal.

...Oh, that's a tele with an EMG.

• Members

Some of the people posting have the keep in mind that the players they're mentioning use heavily modified guitars, even if the body style is still a tele. The OP is asking about a more traditional tele, or was originally, at least.

Hell, put an EMG in a slab of wood screwed to another slab of wood with a metal bridge, frets, and tuners, and it's made for metal.

...Oh, that's a tele with an EMG.

Agreed.

To me, the John 5 and Jim Root tele's don't count being non-traditional, as well as the Charvel mentioned earlier

Everyone is right though, you can play any style on any guitar.....but will it sound authentic? You be the judge

Archived