Replacing the pickup toggle switch on an ES style guitar

Poparad

How the hell does one go about doing this? My toggle switch has been losing its stick and always pops back to the center position. I'm not really sure what caused it to happen, as I rarely use anything other than the center position anyway, so it's hardly seen any wear.

I have a Gibson ES-135 semi-hollow, and I figured I would probably have to replace the switch, but I don't see how in the world I would go about accessing the wires to solder on a new one. Is this even possible without cutting the guitar open? :freak:

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I replaced the toggle switch of my ES 135 as follows:

Take off the strings

unscrew the two Philips-screws that fix the neck pickup, pull out the neck pickup

unscrew the metal base of the pickup

unscrew the plastic cap of the toggle switch

"screw" a vinyl hose (5mm thick, 50 cm long) on to the switch, then loosen the nut that fixes the switch

press the switch into the guitar body, control it with the vinyl hose

pull the switch out through the pickup hole

do the soldering

pull the switch back into the right position using the fixing vinyl hose

remount the switch etc.

• Moderators

Although I typically use fishing line tied to the shaft of the switch below the threads as my 'retrieval' line*, this^ is essentially how it is done on a ES135, my preferred option is to pull out the four screws on the pick-up ring and remove the whole p-up assembly; either way works. [even if it is one of the 2002/2003 'hard-tail' or 'no f-hole' models where they put in a rear access panel for the pots/jack wiring to speed up assembly/inspection, the toggle is still only accessed through the neck pick-up aperture]... a PITA, but the toggle is on the wrong side of the center block, and the leads to the toggle are not long enough to reach the f-hole on that side....thanks, Gibson...

Depending on the design of the toggle [see the two more common versions below], in many cases the 'leaves' of the switch can be adjusted [read: bent], rather than having to replace the switch. Of course, by that time, you have it out anyway, so replacing it may be the more logical process. One could, at that point, add extra wire to the switch lead to allow access via the f-hole, but heck, you know you are never going to work on that switch again, right?:rolleyes2:

Vertical toggle: image.png

'L'  or Horizontal Toggle:

* I have also used shrink sleeve for similar retrieval, but the heat from the gun can cause damage to the finish of the instrument, so I do not recommend this method.

Archived