Installing P90's in strats

JonathanD

• Members

This is kind of a question with a lot of different heads.

1. How do I mount p90's to a strat body? Just drill some holes and voila?

2. Where do I get a pickguard that accomodates p90 pickup?

3. What are some great sounding p90s in strats? I have an american hamer special with p90s that I LOVE, but it's mahogany, so I figure that tone won't carry to a strat wood like alder or ash.

That's it. And I know there are humbucker shaped p90s that would make this a whole lot easier, but I like the look of traditional p90's.

• Members

1. if your strat's body is routed for universal pup options, all your gonna need to do is modify the pickguard for the larger p90's...if it's routed S-S-S then you need to enlarge the pup routs...

2. try www.allparts.com www.wdmusic.com www.stewmac.com

3. depends on your personal tastes...it has been my experience that p90's tend to be voiced similarly, with the differences being dictated by their output...more output, more high-end sizzle...to me, at least...

• Members

Swimming pool route makes it really easy. Warmoth will make you the PG, The pickups screw directly into the body, no drilling required, they're wood screws on most P90s. Mine started as an experiment, so I just got some inexpensive Mightly Mite P90s. They were $33 for all three. They ended up sounding so good that I not only kept them in there, I built another one.

I've posted these several times, but here they are in case you haven't seen them.

Early 90's MIA Strat w/ swimming pool route.

CIMG0601.jpg

The body is from a cheap Kramer Focus, and the neck is from a MIM Tele--

CIMG0026.jpg

PaulS

• Members

Swimming pool route makes it really easy. Warmoth will make you the PG, The pickups screw directly into the body, no drilling required, they're wood screws on most P90s. Mine started as an experiment, so I just got some inexpensive Mightly Mite P90s. They were $33 for all three. They ended up sounding so good that I not only kept them in there, I built another one.

I've posted these several times, but here they are in case you haven't seen them.

CIMG0601.jpg

CIMG0026.jpg

PaulS

HOT! How much were the pickguards from warmoth?

• Members

CIMG0601.jpg

CIMG0026.jpg

PaulS

I think I've told you this before but I'll tell ya again I think your guitars look SWEET!!!!:thu:

• Members
That black and white one is awesome!

So why do P90's have to be screwed into the body? Can't just attach them to a pickguard?

You could float the dog-ear style, but note the clearance issues you would have on the sides.

Archived