The Shure Sm7b, is it worth it without a pre amp?

The SS-1 is hands down your best bet with a SM7B. I'ts only $50 and produces near zero noise with +27dB. Have had mine for over a year and it has become one my favorite pieces of gear.

I'm not sure, but I think I'm detecting the aroma of a certain canned pork product...

:spamani:

You don't happen to work for (or have any other affiliation with) Simply Sound, do you?

• Members

I'm not sure, but I think I'm detecting the aroma of a certain canned pork product...

:spamani:

You don't happen to work for (or have any other affiliation with) Simply Sound, do you?

Its funny, there was a thread on GS a while back in which someone posted clips of a $2000 Great Rivers mic pre and the $50 ART mic pre... most people preferred the ART... (of course, they thought it was the GR at the time) so...

Its funny, there was a thread on GS a while back in which someone posted clips of a Great Rivers mic pre and the Art mic pre... most people preferred the ART... so...

If they were looking for a more obviously "colored-sounding" preamp, I don't doubt people might tend to prefer the ART in a blind listening test of/on single tracks... but then again, that might not be the best thing once you start stacking tracks with it. Personally, I'd take the Great River over any ART preamp, any day.

• 4 weeks later...
I use a Cloud microphone Cloudlifter with my SM7b and that improved the sound 100%. Same result with all my discrete mics' date=' big increase in headroom.[/quote']

If you own / use low output ribbon or moving coil dynamic mics, Cloudlifters are a must-have accessory.

I'm currently wrapping up a review of the new Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter Zi, which also incorporates direct box features. The review will be running soon - stay tuned. :snax:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I have begun building microphone preamps similar to the Cloud Lifter but at a MUCH lower price.  I sell them for $50.00 each and are built into the all-metal 3pin XLR male to female gender changers. In most cases an extra XLR cable is not necessary. Just connect them to the back of your mic. Does anyone think that there would be a market for them? They work perfectly with the SM7B and ribbon mics. Regular SM57 and SM58 mics have noticeable gain and seemingly quality improvements.

• Members
6 hours ago, computerlen said:

I have begun building microphone preamps similar to the Cloud Lifter but at a MUCH lower price.  I sell them for $50.00 each and are built into the all-metal 3pin XLR male to female gender changers. In most cases an extra XLR cable is not necessary. Just connect them to the back of your mic. Does anyone think that there would be a market for them? They work perfectly with the SM7B and ribbon mics. Regular SM57 and SM58 mics have noticeable gain and seemingly quality improvements.

Like the Klark Teknik CT-1 or TRITON AUDIO FetHead ? The former is about $29 shipped - if they ever get more from China LOL.

Archived