Dunlop Orange Tortex .60 for shredding?

kingadvid3m

• Members

I've recently changed from Jazz III to Orange Tortex. Love the tone change. No more harshness coming from the pick attack...my tone is now smooth and compressed...lots creamier from thick picks...the down side is my fast licks are now sounding sloppy, maybe i should just get use to it and not pick too hard when i do fast runs...

Anyone else uses the orange tortex? Is there a fast picking player that uses rather thin-med picks?

• Members

I don't shred at all anymore, but when I did (or attempted to) I used the green Tortex picks.

I'm pretty easy to please with picks, but I mostly play the black Tortex Jazz picks. They have SO many Jazz variations that it's hard to keep them straight. I'd probably try to get to a store that sells them indivudually and buy two of each and go from there. Most of the shredders I currently know use one of the various Jazz picks.

• Members

I still use orange Tortexes on occasion, but I agree that they generally demand a lighter pick attack. See if moving up to the yellows make a difference for you.

I started using oranges, then moved to yellows, which I still use fairly often. Nowadays I use green Tortexes a lot. Not too stiff, not too soft, and not too thick. Just right.

• Members

I've never used more than a 1mm pick for very long but I always found that using a 2mm pick was almost like using a compressor... the attack is more consistent. Thinner picks allow for more dynamic range... or at least make it easier to get different dynamics.

Those Jazz-ish, swoopy looking picks that come in 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm seem like what I'd use for sweep and fast picking in general.

• Members

Stay away from the Ultex picks if you do not want a sharp attack. These picks have a lot of treble bite. They are also fairly stiff.

The Tortex picks are between the Delrin and the Ultex in terms of attack to my ears.

You may want to try the Delrin picks for an even softer attack. I like the pink delrin ones (.73 I think) for anything with 9 guage strings on it.

Heavier strings, and I'm using the Ultex stuff (.71 or so).

• Members

I've recently changed from Jazz III to Orange Tortex. Love the tone change. No more harshness coming from the pick attack...my tone is now smooth and compressed...lots creamier from thick picks...the down side is my fast licks are now sounding sloppy, maybe i should just get use to it and not pick too hard when i do fast runs...

Anyone else uses the orange tortex? Is there a fast picking player that uses rather thin-med picks?

Paul Gilbert uses the .60 tortex picks and I hear he's fairly good. :p

• Members

This is funny. I started with Orange Tortex and played them for years. After going through a few others I'm now a total Jazz III convert (except for acoustic).

I know nothing about shredding though, so I can't answer your question.

• Members

That's a huge change, but after 35 years of trying to find the perfect pick, I've discovered that I can adjust to almost any gauge. I spent a few years stuck on Jazz III's (1.3mm), and later 3.5mm Wegen Gypsy Jazzer's, then went to Dava Grip Tips for a year (which I'd put at about .70mm, though the rubber grip makes them feel a bit thicker). I'm using Dunlop Ultem 1.14mm's lately.

Anyway, as far as shredding with thin picks, EVH uses picks that are roughly .60mm, originally D'Andrea's, more recently custom Herco's.

Archived