Michael Kelly Hybrid???

mc_carlini

• Members

They are sort of LP sized, jumbo frets, hit or miss with most players. Seems many didnt like the sound they put out but dont take into consideration they have a 9v battery inside that needed to be changed. If your going looking for one, bring a fresh 9v battery and a mini phillips screwdriver with you.

fenqrt.jpg

• Members

I don't trust this... I really feel like it wouldn't sound or feel good as an acoustic OR as an electric... just as a half baked version of each -- in which case I don't see why anyone would want it.

that said I haven't tried it, I could be wrong.

I saw somewhere that "it was built to play more as an acoustic" regarding the action of the guitar, and being that there is an acoustic bridge, i would assume so. But for about $300, i think that the guitar would suit the purpose just fine

• Members

Would love to hear more. I have heard they are kind of NOT at the top of the heap as far as Hybrids go and would like to know a little more about why that is so. As far as looks go, it a go for me. As far as the electric pickups go, I like the sound of those also [owned another MK with same pickups].

Is it just snobbery? What really sets the top end above these? Honest question - thanks.

• Members

Many people are name brand snobs so that could be one of the reasons why some dont care for them. Another thing is the guitar feels like, well, an electric guitar and not an acoustic in hand. Its a hybrid and not meant to be a real acoustic but an acoustic simulator. I suppose thats something else people cant get over.

As ive said, mine was great, just had no use for it.

• Members

I don't trust this... I really feel like it wouldn't sound or feel good as an acoustic OR as an electric... just as a half baked version of each -- in which case I don't see why anyone would want it.

Usually these type of guitars will not sound like a true acoustic guitar, but are excellent for people who require both type of sounds.

The Ovation I'm selling sounds incredible as an electric guitar. In fact, better than many pure electrics including a few Les Pauls.

The acoustic side is very good, but lacks customization in terms of a separate eq. section.

Here's an interesting review:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/1207_AcousticElectrics.php

Mine is the Deluxe model and it has a maple top instead of the spruce top of the model reviewed. I liked the sound better. From what I've read, many people who play Taylors also prefer maple.

I've never played a Michael Kelly Hybrid. I had a Deuce Phoenix:

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/deuce_phoenix.html

According to the guy who bought it from me, mine was one of the better ones since apparently they moved production to a different country. I think mine was Korean. It was a nice guitar for the money. I had a Yamaha and a Godin with a piezo pickup, as well as the VXT. From a quality point of view, all were superior to the Deuce Phoenix I had. Perhaps their current hybrid is better, but I have not played one.

• Members

Is it just snobbery? What really sets the top end above these? Honest question - thanks.

Good question.

I'm not much into brand names, I just want a good guitar and I'm open to different brands from different countries. My comments are based on a single Michael Kelly guitar I had years ago:

Attention to detail was poor. For example, the nut was not cut properly.

Electronics were not that good. The sounds were ok, but nothing special. My previous semi-hollow was a Heritage with Seth Lover pickups. The Michael Kelly did not come close to the sounds I got from the Heritage (H-155).

Materials. I don't recall if the MK had a photo-flame or veneer. I think that the hardware in general was ok, but nothing special.

I sold it many years ago so excuse my memory but I can't think of more details. I think I paid $300-$400 for the guitar, and it felt like a $300-$400 guitar. Nothing wrong with that. I liked it better than an AlleyKat I had played and was in that price range.

In contrast, the first time I played a VXT I told Matt Smith ( http://www.mattsmithsworld.com/ ) that it felt very similar to the USA Hamers I had. He told me that the Hamer people had a lot of input into the making of the VXT. That day a friend of mine bought one and probably paid around $1300. His is just like the one shown here:

http://www.ovationtribute.com/Catalogues/2007_UK_Guitarist_Mag_VXT/2007_UK_Guitarist_Mag_VXT.html

I played two of those (with spruce tops) and preferred the Deluxe model with a nice maple top. More expensive, but worth it IMO. With today's sale prices they're a great value for the money. Sound, craftsmanship, playability, it's all there. I'm not thrilled about having to sell mine :(

• Members

And you are wrong, Pete. I've owned the an MK hybrid (two pickup model) and it's the best of the hybrids that i have played. Not only can you get a great acoustic sound, you can mix in the electric, and get a ton of variations. Everything from a Jumbo Gibson, to an Ovation with a piezzo.

Mixing lets you use the 3 way, and the tone control, again, lots of options.

For electric it does a great job. Think of a cross between a Les Paul and 335.

The Rockfield pickups are fine and overdrive quite nicely in humbucker mode.

Coil splitting can give you nice Tele spank, or a bit of Strat a tude!

Build quality is excellent. Action and Intonation are dead on. I was a little leary buying this with an acoustic bridge, But I have never had any Issues.

Covers ALOT of ground when gigging.

• Members

They're ok. I much prefer separate jacks for the piezo and regular pickups. I have a number of hybrids, including a Hamer DuoTone, Parkwood H4(very nice guitar!) Italia Mondial, Peavey Generation EXP, and Carvin AE185.

That parkwood really has my attention. Where can i get it and for how much (and yes i am will to pay for it with my soul)?

• Members

And you are wrong, Pete. I've owned the an MK hybrid (two pickup model) and it's the best of the hybrids that i have played. Not only can you get a great acoustic sound, you can mix in the electric, and get a ton of variations. Everything from a Jumbo Gibson, to an Ovation with a piezzo.

Mixing lets you use the 3 way, and the tone control, again, lots of options.

For electric it does a great job. Think of a cross between a Les Paul and 335.

The Rockfield pickups are fine and overdrive quite nicely in humbucker mode.

Coil splitting can give you nice Tele spank, or a bit of Strat a tude!

Build quality is excellent. Action and Intonation are dead on. I was a little leary buying this with an acoustic bridge, But I have never had any Issues.

Covers ALOT of ground when gigging.

Here's the H4 Parkwood that I have.

[YOUTUBE]etqpsOlgNp0[/YOUTUBE]

Archived