ievans

• Members

http://rapidshare.com/files/106887966/ValveKing_Royal_8.pdf.html there you go

some things to look at, although they might not float your boat

I'd lower c1 to 2.2u or even 1u

mess about with R5, lower values = more crunch

c2 - bump that right up to 1000u

r8 - increase to 270 to run the power tube a bit cooler

maybe mess about with the tonestack, although if you like the tone control after mods then just leave as is

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Man, those L-Pads are a bit....

Lets just say mine bust into flames last night.. which was {censored}in cool.. luckily nothing else got fried..

It was cool for a bit, I had mine mounted in a little ventilated metal box.. I was noticing when I hit a power chord there was a little red glow from inside the box! Then a crackle.. then a pfft... then little burny flamey bits and lots of smoke..

That {censored} was rock n roll baby!!

I was running an 18W marshall into a 25W L-Pad.. Be careful, those L-Pads are not all that accurate with the Ohm stuff either, it may say 8, but mine varied from 3-8 depending on where the knob was set.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Man, those L-Pads are a bit....

Lets just say mine bust into flames last night.. which was {censored}in cool.. luckily nothing else got fried..

It was cool for a bit, I had mine mounted in a little ventilated metal box.. I was noticing when I hit a power chord there was a little red glow from inside the box! Then a crackle.. then a pfft... then little burny flamey bits and lots of smoke..

That {censored} was rock n roll baby!!

I was running an 18W marshall into a 25W L-Pad.. Be careful, those L-Pads are not all that accurate with the Ohm stuff either, it may say 8, but mine varied from 3-8 depending on where the knob was set.

No doubt you smoked that L-Pad, the 100w version will work fine with an 18 watt amp.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I've just bought a Peavey Royal 8. It's a SE 5 watter. The previous owner has already swapped the original speaker for a Celestion Super 8. Swapping the valves/tubes are the next obvious change. I was also thinking about changing the values of some components. I've also got an OT from a Gibson skylark that I could put in it, but that is getting towards increasingly serious surgery.

What brand on tube have others used? I imagine JJ or Electro Harm.

Can anyone suggest possible mods?

I'd like to get some more life out of the clean tones which don't really ring and clean up the distortion when settings are on full. I am aiming for a classic vintage sound for country and blues and rockabilly type sounds.

Any advice would be great. The kind of sound I'm going for and therefore mods that I would be interested in are very different from the OP

Archived