Burstbucker Pros in Jaguar HH = okay idea?

succor

• Members

Edit: Oh, one more:

Before removing the originals, write down what went where. Otherwise you'll end up spending all evening Googling for wiring diagrams.

(Yes, this is the voice of painful, stupid experience once again.) :facepalm:

• Members

That may have been the kick in the ass I needed. I had to learn sometime.

Lol... I needed that same kick, brother. And it was a few forumites that gave it to me.

Just passing it on so that in a couple days, once you learn how to improperly solder, you can pass on that info to some other dummy who'd rather pay a jackass to do it for him. (he's only a jackass 'cuz he charges so much for such an easy job... he oughta be ashamed...:facepalm:)

:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OP... any updates?

I recently put my Jaguar HH up in the Spam thread because I just can't get into those Pups. Maybe a change is just what I need instead.

Sorry, not yet. I actually just bought a soldering kit yesterday. With the help of trusty forumites' info and youtube, I'll probably be delving into the uncharted depths of the Jag cavity by tomorrow. I have a set of Burstbucker Pros I'll probably start with, then switch out to a Duncan Jazz/JB combo for comparison.

• Members

I finished finals at school this week and finally had time to learn how to solder. I gave myself the Youtube crashcourse today and did my first pickup replacement. After three trips to Radio Shack to pick up items I realized I needed as I went, the Burstbucker Pros are installed and buckin' hum. I'm sorry I'm unable to do sound clips right now, but the improvement seems to be ten-fold. You know the cheap, shrill click you get from touching the dragsters with your finger/pick? It's gone now. That was the first thing I noticed. The burstbuckers helped achieve my goal of losing the thinness and"air" I felt I was constantly hearing in my chords and notes. It now sounds like the gap's been closed and there is nothing but tight, thick response. Overdrive is the real treat with these guys. Nothing is muddy or messy. Beautiful chords where every note is heard. The cleans are good, too. I may look into changing the tone pot soon to try to relieve some of the higher frequencies that are present with both dragsters and burstbuckers. I know these are all just lame adjectives, but it's the truth: all-around improvement.

As mentioned before, I have a set of Duncans I was going to try out, but I think I'm good on the Jag. I plan to try them in the cheap Parker PM-20 I got a while ago.

As a side note: the soldering thing was not that bad! I practiced for a few hours on an old answering machine and it wasn't long before I felt fairly confident. I found the most difficult task can be negotiating the small spaces and knowing how and where to bend the wires (and carefully). Thanls to everyone who told me to do it myself. You saved me a lot of time and money! :thu:

• Members

Glad to hear that you're happy. I've always been supporter of the stock pickups as I favor low output pickups on short scale guitars. That said, I would still be curious as to how it would sound to put some hotter pu's in there. Of course, it would probably start sounding closer to my other HH guitars, and it would lose some of its individuality, but who knows, I might end up playing it more often.

Congrats on the soldering. You should add "Updated" to your subject line to get more attention to your post.

PaulS

Archived