Burstbucker Pros in Jaguar HH = okay idea?

succor

• Members

I've done a fair amount of searching on the topic, but haven't found any instances of anyone trying Burstbuckers of any kind in a Jaguar HH.

I understand the Jag has an Alder body. Is this going to lend poorly to the Burstbuckers sound?

I'm just tried of dealing with the 'airy' and too hot, too bright, too unruly output of the stock Dragsters.

Thanks for any input you may have!

• Members

what is the string spacing of the stock pickups vs. the Burstbuckers? (the string spacing on a Strat is usually wider than on a Les Paul, which is why Seymour Duncan offers some humbuckers in "F-spaced" versions, but I dunno if the same applies to a short-scale Jaguar.) the answer to that question might make body wood irrelevant...

• Members

what is the string spacing of the stock pickups vs. the Burstbuckers? (the string spacing on a Strat is usually wider than on a Les Paul, which is why Seymour Duncan offers some humbuckers in "F-spaced" versions, but I dunno if the same applies to a short-scale Jaguar.) the answer to that question might make body wood irrelevant...

the string spacing is not that important. lots of guitarists in the 80s just put humbuckers with the "wrong" spacing and it worked out fine.

• Members

Thanks everyone. The jury's still out on whether The Black Jaguar HH is F-spaced or not, I'll need to do more hunting. Thanks for the suggestion on the Duncan Alnico II pros, Wannarok, I'll take a look.

I'm completely open to suggestions or experiences with upgrading the Jag HH's pickups. I just need something that's tighter and not so sharp, I think.

• Members

I have BB pros in my LP, and I love them. I agree about body woods not mattering much. the neck, single coil sized, twin-rails lil' killer pup in my jackson has a similar flavor (though not exact, but then... they are two different guitars, different scales, different body woods, different pup sizes....)

• Members

Succor,

This is not what you are aking, but I'm not sure why you would replace the PUP's in a Fender Jag HH. Or are you asking about a Squire Jaguar?

- w

Not the squire, but the fabled $299 Jaguar HH of Fender Friday fame. I know they're probably likable for some, but I am getting annoyed with the "air-like quality" of them. I just want them to be thicker sounding and less shrill? I've experimented with amp EQ a lot to no avail. The dragsters have been tough for me to handle, basically.

• Members

Good thread. Curious to see the responses. There's been surprisingly little talk about the Jags since most people's arrived that following week. Maybe everybody is just too busy playing them?

I love mine. I've thought about changing the pickups, but I have other HH guitars and the Jag gives me something a little different.

• Members

Not the squire, but the fabled $299 Jaguar HH of Fender Friday fame. I know they're probably likable for some, but I am getting annoyed with the "air-like quality" of them. I just want them to be thicker sounding and less shrill? I've experimented with amp EQ a lot to no avail. The dragsters have been tough for me to handle, basically.

OK. Yes - I have the same guitar. Fender Jaguar HH MIJ. I like them fine, but to each their own.

- w

• Members

I've thought about changing the pickups, but I have other HH guitars and the Jag gives me something a little different.

I've considered that, too. It's one of 4 electrics I use frequently and I could regard it as having it's own niche sound. It would still be fun to hear about anyone's pickup replacement stories. Plus, I'll be sure to report on what I decide. :thu:

• Members

I'd like to resurrect this one since it's decision day for me, and I noticed another forum member talking about putting some Gibson 57's in his Jag HH.

I have ready for installation either a set of Burstbucker Pros OR a set of Seymour Duncans: an SH-2 Jazz for the neck and an SH-4 JB for the bridge.

What do you think? Should I mix and match, even? Any input is appreciated!

• Members

I'd like to resurrect this one since it's decision day for me, and I noticed another forum member talking about putting some Gibson 57's in his Jag HH.

I have ready for installation either a set of Burstbucker Pros OR a set of Seymour Duncans: an SH-2 Jazz for the neck and an SH-4 JB for the bridge.

What do you think? Should I mix and match, even? Any input is appreciated!

You have them? As in lying around?

Why ask us? Experiment with all of them! :thu:

If you end up hating them, a little flax and all trace of them will be gone.

Heck, for that matter, spend a few cents on some quick-release connectors so you don't even need to worry about removing and re-doing solder multiple times. (And keep the extra female ends around in your junk drawer for future guitars you might want to mod.)

• Members

^^^^

Yeah...I wish
:rolleyes:
I couldn't solder to save my life, I've never known how. I'll need to pay a bit to have it done.

Quick release connectors? I'll need to look into that. Thanks.

Brother.... I am someone who learned how to solder just 2-3 weeks ago.

Google is your friend. Soldering is really stinking easy. Yeah, it can be obnoxious, but really it's easy.

Just go spend $12 bucks on the 15 to 30 watt (switchable) soldering iron and another $3 on the thinner rosin-core solder, check out google, and you're all set.

Seriously, don't go spend $40-$50 having someone else put your pickups in for you. That's absolutely retarded. :facepalm:

• Members

^^^^

Yeah...I wish
:rolleyes:
I couldn't solder to save my life, I've never known how. I'll need to pay a bit to have it done.

Quick release connectors? I'll need to look into that. Thanks.

I'm one of the worst solder-gun operators on the entire planet, and even I can do a pickup swap.

How to solder when you don't know how to solder properly:

1. Heat up the gun.

2. "Tin" the crap out of the tip of the gun with solder material.

3. Use the blob of goop to tin the wire.

4. Add even more of it to the tip of the gun.

5. Tin the connection.

6. (Hard part), get the wire to stay touching the connection, using clamps, a helper, or pinching it into position and resting something heavy on another part of the wire. Whatever it takes.

7. Tin the tip some more.

8. Use the tip to melt it all together with some additional goop from the tip. Don't press down too hard or the whole thing will come apart and there will be tears and recriminations.

9. Clean up all the excess solder from the guitar cavity, floor, walls, ceiling, and anywhere else you ended up putting it by mistake.

10. Treat your burns.

Done! You now have a sloppy, unprofessional-looking, huge blob of solder. Six times out of ten, it will hold and conduct just fine so you won't have to do it over. :thu:

Now repeat the same process for all other connections.

I have now taught you just about all I know about how to solder. There is one method which I have at my disposal which works even better, though:

1. Call my dad and get him to do it.

(It's freaky. The old guy could probably make a perfect join using a piece of sheet metal and a book of cardboard matches.) :facepalm:

• Members

I have the same guitar. I bought mine in the heyday and paid $699-- GRRRR! I agree about the pickguard. I liked it for a few years, but now think it needs more pop. I'm looking at it now and was thinking about red pearloid.

I know what you mean about the pickups, but like you and the others, I have several other H-H guitars and like the distinctive tone of it. There are times when I just love playing the guitar and the look and feel of it, that I wish I could use for more things (w/ hotter pu-s), but I think it cuts the mix in a way that others don't.

Some people think the pu-s flat out 'suck' and to those people I would just say that they 'don't get it'. It's not intended to be a hard rockin' guitar. I play The Who's "The Seeker". That's a rockin' tune and my Jag HH totally nails that vibe.

OTOH, I can see the desire to experiment.

PaulS

• Members

Thanks for taking the time, Golias. You're like the dad I never had
:cry:

Soldering iron, it is. You guys (hopefully) saved me a lot of money.

There is one more tip which I learned the hard & stupid way:

When removing the original pickups, don't clip the wires!

Instead, heat up the solder joints and lift the original pickup wires off. This keeps them in a state which will allow you to put them back later and/or resell them.

Archived