Spaghetti Western Music Guitar Gear

camelface

• Members

Hi, in those classic Leone films with the blazing twangy guitar, anyone know what was the gear of Alessandro Alessandroni? Is it a Fender sound? Gretsch? I don't want to copy him or anything, it is just pure curiosity on vintage tone.

If you know the amp as well feel free to mention.

If you don't know the exact gear that was used it is okay to publish your suspicions as well. ;)

Thanks

• Members

Fender.

Bruno Battisti D'Amario is believed to have used Jazzmasters for the later two Dollars films and Alessandro Alessandroni use a Strat for the first film.

The setup is extremely "surf guitar." I think any good surf guitar setup, regardless of brand will nail the tone very well.

• Members
Fender.

Bruno Battisti D'Amario is believed to have used Jazzmasters for the later two Dollars films and Alessandro Alessandroni use a Strat for the first film.

The setup is extremely "surf guitar." I think any good surf guitar setup, regardless of brand will nail the tone very well.

This is what I've read also. I would have to agree that the external tube driven reverb unit is one of the key components to Spethetti Western Surf, as it is with 99% of all Surf music.

• Members

Check out Los Straitjackets' album, "!Viva! Los Straitjackets".

There are three tunes on it that are definitely movie soundtrack worthy.

"Lonely Apache" - Obviously a Western, but rather than Spaghetti Western, I'm seeing Robert Ryan, Richard Widmark, and James Stewart riding along a ridge.

"Espionage" - Spy movie.

"Lurking In The Shadows" - Detective movie.

• 11 years later...
  • Members
On 8/31/2009 at 1:12 AM, camelface said:

Hi, in those classic Leone films with the blazing twangy guitar, anyone know what was the gear of Alessandro Alessandroni? Is it a Fender sound? Gretsch? I don't want to copy him or anything, it is just pure curiosity on vintage tone.

If you know the amp as well feel free to mention.

If you don't know the exact gear that was used it is okay to publish your suspicions as well. ;)

Thanks

2018, I dropped on a 1964 'Hohner Orgaphon 45MH' for £150, which I then took to Andy at Oldamps (Richard Hawley's repair guy) who made it safe to use (it was deadly!), swapped the din inputs for jacks, and replaced around 30 tired components. For Andy it became a labour of love, spending around 40 hours on the bench. I have played through (and fleetingly owned) some of the best amps ever made, and this is right up there with Woody Guthrie's Fender Champ that I played in Guitar Centre. The power section has 2x PL84 (no, not EL84) & EF86; pre-amp is 3x ECC808, 2x ECC83, and an ECL86 driving the huge spring reverb. It loves anything single coil but if I stick my Strat into Ch1 (ECC808), crank the pre/reverb..... a fistful of Alessandroni! Here's a vid of it's baby brother, 25MH. https://youtu.be/9m1_-CnGsK8?t=345

Archived