gloss finish on MIM maple fretboard is too sticky?

Selsaral

• Members

I know guys that have used polishing compound or very, very fine sandpaper on the back of their necks because of stickiness but I don't know about the fretboard. I have 2 Fender basses. The '72 model is maple fretboard and the new Jaguar is rosewood but I haven't noticed stickiness. The old J-bass is American and the Jag is Japanese.

• Members

Yeah I've wondered if it was a technique issue. It may partly be. But one does need a certain downward pressure to push the string a whole step. Either way, I have trouble seeing myself re-engineering my bending technique anytime soon. I'll take another look at it tho.

I agree with DaleH. Lighten your touch. If you are hindered by the fretboard you need to modify your technique.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I tried to ease off my technique, to the point where I wasn't putting enough pressure to avoid fretting out when bending a whole step, and I was still annoyed by the sticky fretboard. So I am pretty sure it isn't a technique thing.

I used some 1500 grit sandpaper and it did exactly what I had hoped. The fretboard is much smoother and doesn't look much different. Took me about 15 minutes. So yay for a nice easy solution.

• Members

I tried to ease off my technique, to the point where I wasn't putting enough pressure to avoid fretting out when bending a whole step, and I was still annoyed by the sticky fretboard. So I am pretty sure it isn't a technique thing.

I used some 1500 grit sandpaper and it did exactly what I had hoped. The fretboard is much smoother and doesn't look much different. Took me about 15 minutes. So yay for a nice easy solution.

Congrats. Well done.

Now go play.

• Members

OK thanks I will seriously consider this.

Why doesn't fender put the same finish on their rosewood fingerboards?

Do most people use sandpaper on their maple fingerboards?

Is it going to effect the resale value?

Rosewood and ebony boards need to be oiled. Maple boards do not so they are sealed with a finsh. Very fine 0000 steel wool for me if ever needed.

• Members

I bought a cheap SX Vintage '62 Strat recently and I used that green Scotch Brite pad to take the gloss down to a satin. It's the kind you use to scrub pots and pans, which is a lot less abrasive than the ones you get at a home improvement store. It still takes off that gloss like a superfine sandpaper, but doesn't clog up like sandpaper does.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

All the above is correct.  I prefer rosewood fretboards to maple because every maple fretboard is sticky, some more than others as above described. I have not tried fast fret though.  I will run out and buy as soon as pandemic is over.

• Members
3 hours ago, Bigsky said:

All the above is correct.  I prefer rosewood fretboards to maple because every maple fretboard is sticky, some more than others as above described. I have not tried fast fret though.  I will run out and buy as soon as pandemic is over.

Go easy with it. It can quickly make it feel like an oil slick.

I use it after I play sometimes and it marginally extends string life.

Archived