gloss finish on MIM maple fretboard is too sticky?

Selsaral

• Members

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the maple fretboard on a MIM guitar sticky? I really notice it when I do fast oblique bends such as those found in an SRV song. The rosewood board on my squier is much dryer and less sticky and I can do these kinds of bends much, much easier.

Is this the kind of thing people are thinking of when saying that they like a rosewood fretboard more?

• Members

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the maple fretboard on a MIM guitar sticky? I really notice it when I do fast oblique bends such as those found in an SRV song. The rosewood board on my squier is much dryer and less sticky and I can do these kinds of bends much, much easier.

Is this the kind of thing people are thinking of when saying that they like a rosewood fretboard more?

1. It's the finish, not the wood, that makes the difference in the texture feel of a neck & fretboard.

2. Try using bacon. :p

• Members

1. It's the finish, not the wood, that makes the difference in the texture feel of a neck & fretboard.

Ah that's what I thought. Do Rickenbackers with a heavily finished rosewood board feel sticky?

Apparently MIM guitars only put a sticky finish on maple fretboards, and not on rosewood fretboards, cause the rosewood MIMs I've played were dry and smooth.

Now I want to sell my maple MIM tele and get a rosewood version, cause this is turning out to be a big issue for me.

2. Try using bacon.
:p

In my bellah?

• Members

2. Try using bacon.
:p

Not necccessairily true.

The finished part of a maple neck WILL make the neck feel "sticky" but even an unfinished maple fingerboard will feel different than a rosewood one. The rosewood will have bigger pours, more open grain, and your fingers will actually feel those crevices and ridges. Maple will feel smooth because the grain is closed.

But, for the most part, you are right, in that the O.P.s pro9bblem seems to be more about the stickiness of the finish on the maple though.

• Members

Every maple MIM I've seen had a satin finish, which
most
people think less "sticky" than a fully lacquered gloss finish... In any event, try some fast fret or just get a bit of light mineral oil from the drugstore and see if a little wipe helps.

Ah OK yeah I wasn't sure exactly what to call it (satin versus gloss). It's a stock 2002 MIM Tele. The feel on the back of the neck is just fine, but the sticky factor on the fretboard has recently become apparent to me.

Mineral oil will really reduce the sticky factor of the fretboard?

• Members

Ah OK yeah I wasn't sure exactly what to call it (satin versus gloss). It's a stock 2002 MIM Tele. The feel on the back of the neck is just fine, but the sticky factor on the fretboard has recently become apparent to me.

I think it does, and it's only costs a couple bucks to try it. Also check for finger gunk on the board, that will make it sticky in a hurry.

• Members

I think it does, and it's only costs a couple bucks to try it. Also check for finger gunk on the board, that will make it sticky in a hurry.

I actually clean it pretty regularly, so it's not gunk. I'll try the mineral oil, thanks for the suggestion.

• Members

Kinda weird... MIM usually feature a thin layer of lacquer on their necks/boards.

What year was it made?

It's a stock 2002 MIM telecaster.

I couldn't figure out why my Squier CV 60s strat was so much easier to do fast bends on until recently. The frets on the squier may also be larger, which reduces the amount of force I put on the fretboard, which may enhance the sticky feel of the MIM.

Even when I am not playing it, and just push my finger across the fretboards, the MIM is clearly much stickier than the Squier.

Gloss was probably the wrong term, I think Into Nation was right about calling it 'satin'.

• Members

Its so easy to fix that. Just take some real fine sandpaper and sand off the gloss to taste . They do feel pretty crappy sometimes.

• Members

Its so easy to fix that. Just take some real fine sandpaper and sand off the gloss to taste . They do feel pretty crappy sometimes.

I gotta admit to being terrified of doing something like this myself, but it does sound reasonable. I am no wood-worker.

• Members

I gotta admit to being terrified of doing something like this myself, but it does sound reasonable. I am no wood-worker.

Just use the finest sandpaper you can get and be sure to stay clear of the frets though it probably wouldnt affect them much anyway if you did touch them by accident a little . Its not really woodworking its more just tweaking a little,theres not much craftsmanship involved .Slow and careful ,in moderation . If your nervous about it talk to someone who is an expert. I know a little but not a lot. Ive done this and it worked great.

• Members

Just use the finest sandpaper you can get and be sure to stay clear of the frets though it probably wouldnt affect them much anyway if you did touch them by accident a little . Its not really woodworking its more just tweaking a little,theres not much craftsmanship involved .Slow and careful ,in moderation . If your nervous about it talk to someone who is an expert. I know a little but not a lot. Ive done this and it worked great.

This is absolutely correct. Just get some 1000 grit sand paper from your local automotive store, and lightly sand the fingerboard between the frets. Use a wood block or something square to get close to the frets. Try not to sand the frets too much, the sides, or especially the tops. You really need to do very little sanding. You are just trying to knock the gloss of of the board, or remove the shine a little. When you are finished, wipe it clean and it will feel exactly like you want it, It will hardly look any different, it will just be a little less shiny. Dont use anything rougher than 1000 grit paper, and dont use steel wool.

• Members

Is it going to effect the resale value?

Geez - you're talking about a stock 02 MIM! Max resale on that'd be about $250 anyway, so I can't imagine a little judicious work on the fingerboard is going to have a lot of effect...

• Members

Sorry if I came off as dick-ish. I think I need a coffee refill.
:cop:

I am always conflicted when a post is semi-dickish while at the same time I said something fairly stupid which pretty much earned the response. So, no problem. ;)

• Members

Try using a lighter touch. If your finger is just behind the fret the string only has to touch the top of the ftet. Go lighter and you will get faster.

If you are pushing hard enough for you finger to hit the fretboard your string must be digging into the board.

• Members

Try using a lighter touch. If your finger is just behind the fret the string only has to touch the top of the ftet. Go lighter and you will get faster.

If you are pushing hard enough for you finger to hit the fretboard your string must be digging into the board.

Yeah I've wondered if it was a technique issue. It may partly be. But one does need a certain downward pressure to push the string a whole step. Either way, I have trouble seeing myself re-engineering my bending technique anytime soon. I'll take another look at it tho.

Archived