Seattle people - recommendations?

js1

• Members

I'll be in Seattle for 1 or 2 days next week as part of a vacation. Have to figure out where to stay. I'd prefer an area that has restaurants, refreshments and nightlife that I can walk to. Any suggestions?

Also, if there is anything that is a must see, particularly with a musical bent, please let me know.

TIA

js

• Members

Well, not sure I am a big help as I usually visit Seattle once or twice a year for 2-3 days (read to watch football.) Generally, I stay in the downtown area....not too far from Pike or Pine...sure some expensive hotels there, and some which are pretty reasonable. From there, you can easily walk to Pike Place Market, the art museum, down to the Bay for a boat tour, over to the space needle... (with the music museum right there.) Lots of good restaurants etc. For a slightly cheaper and fun place to eat, I like Von's, the restaurant in the Roosevelt Hotel. If you like books, it is also right across the street from a large Barnes and Noble..... have fun.

• Members

We go to Seattle a couple times a year for Mariners games and usually stay up by Lake Union near the Space Needle. You can walk to the Music Experience museum, which is very cool, and you are on the northern edge of downtown. A lot of motels there have shuttles to and from the game, and you could catch one to the stadium (south edge of downtown) for a few bucks, and be right near Pioneer Square with lots of live music and near Pike st. market. If there are no home games, you could catch a cab-the money you save on a lower priced room as opposed to a downtown hotel will easily cover the cost. We're only talking about 15-20 blocks or so.

• Members

Stay at the Alexis, go to The Highway 99 Blues club. The Alexis has great food and an amazing whiskey bar. 5 minute walk to everything. Too many options to list really. Three blocks sout on Pioneer Square you'll find The New Orleans restaurant. They have blues/jazz most nights. Authentic Cajun/Creole food.

http://www.alexishotel.com/

http://www.highwayninetynine.com/

McCormick and Schmicks is a block north of the hotel. Outstanding restaurant.

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/

• Members

Downtown Seattle is a great walking city. Capital Hill is lively as I recall. Ballard is its own thing, but cool also.

I don't live there but have in-laws in Ballard and in Laurel Hurst, out by the big U.

• Members

All the above - should stress that the Experience Music Project is absolute mecca for Hendrix fans...and that in the same building, for sci-fi freaks/geeks there's the Sci-Fi museum if you would like to see things like Kirk's chair from the Enterprise, the Borg headpiece Picard wore, and endless other props/artifacts/holy relics from the entire history of sci-fi.

And no, that's not the moon that's fallen to earth and stuck in the ground SE of Seattle, that's Mt. Rainier.

My brother lives across the Sound from Seattle, about a 7-mile swim (ferry ride, actually) to the cliff below his house. So we're up there at least once a year or so. I'd retire up there except for the fact that I'll probably never retire.

nat whilk ii

• Members

The area around Seattle Center is a good place to stay. I used to like staying at "The Inn at Queen Anne". Nothing fancy, but super friendly and convenient to most of the things you'll want to see and do. Better hurry though; our good weather can't last much longer.

• Members

Thanks, all - I'm here now. And about to find myself a drink. Or, should I say draannnk.. Why this makes me laugh, I don't know:

Should have also asked where to find cheap parking. Hotel was reasonable off of Hotwire, but the parking is painful. Tomorrow, off to spend the day waking and checking out all of your great recommendations.

js

• Members

Ooo! Eat at the Wild Ginger. It's pan-asian, and unless things have changed, you'll need reservations. Without reservations you can usually sit at the satay bar. Go to Capitol Hill and have the best coffee at Cafe Vivace. Capitol Hill is home to many of Seattle's more colorful residents, and was a big part of the grunge scene.

• Members

Ooo! Eat at the Wild Ginger. It's pan-asian, and unless things have changed, you'll need reservations..

you generally still do (and even with reservations they seem to like to make you wait) -- I'd suggest just hitting the "triple door" - it's a separate entrance, but it's wild ginger's music lounge/stage

• Members

Well, back home again. And thanks for all your suggestions.

Did try to see a show at the Triple Door, but it was a rare sellout, so I went back after the show. Karaoke was in progress, much of it drunken and scary. I did drop in a few bars in Belltown, looking for music but not much was on Mon/Tues.

The EMP was a definite highlight, with the jaw dropping guitar room killing the most time. And its SciFi brother was fun too - got a kick out of seeing the original Lost In Space robot.

Also met the guy that made my bass, tried more of his instruments, and mentally committed to getting him to make me another one. So, the trip may end up being even more expensive.

Thanks again.

js

• Members

I was stationed out at Fort Lewis back in the late 70's and remember visiting the Pacific Science Center and catching a "Laser Rock" show in a planetarium-like building where you layed on the floor and looked up at the ceiling while they blasted Pink Floyd and such all around you and put on a helluva show with the lasers on the ceiling. Wonder if they still do that. Can't tell from the link above. There seems to be a lot of other more modern things going on there now. Ahh, the memories ...

Archived