Carbon footprint

halljams

• Members

I probably have a smaller CO2 footprint than most in the Western world.

Still, if one chooses to participate in a modern Western society, one is ipso facto guilty of the cumulative sins of that society.

A sort of "group karma", if you like.

What's more, it costs a good deal to opt out of that paradigm.

WHOLE FOODS store is a wonderful assortment of organic and wholesome foods.... it purports to be the wave of the future. But it's very expensive. $100 buys you about five items in that store.

• Members

I'm lost. What are you guys talking about?
:confused:

i remember going to mexico city in around '89, i have never seen such a bunch of {censored}ing wrecks driving around at once. The cabs were falling apart, basically flintstone mobiles the pollution was insane.

I remember thinking that my dad would dig it cause he used to buy old ford pickups which notoriously rusted out on the lower half. He would bondo up the bottom and paint it flat black and keep the original color on the top. Had a cool look, and everyone in mexico was on to my dads gig!

We caught a train out of the city and there were miles and miles of folks living in old railway cars and plywood makeshift huts all along the tracks. crazy.

Anyway, yeah a carbon footprint, so i understand Gustus, is your.... actually ....here is wiko's def

"A carbon footprint is "the total set of GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions caused directly and indirectly by an individual, organization, event or product" (UK Carbon Trust 2008). An individual, nation, or organization's carbon footprint is measured by undertaking a GHG emissions assessment. Once the size of a carbon footprint is known, a strategy can be devised to reduce it."

• Members

I did notice that ZPG changed their name a few years back

I do wonder if "carbon footprint" = GHG output could lead to problems in the future (grouping carbons and non-carbons and otherwise assuming sort of "fungibility" based on a CO2 equivalent standard)

• Members

I'm only concerned about carbon footprints when the people who bitch to me about them are overweight and keep having babies. I find that to be completely hypocritial.....otherwise, I am not too concerned at the moment.

• Members

I'm only concerned about carbon footprints when the people who bitch to me about them are overweight and keep having babies. I find that to be completely hypocritial.....otherwise, I am not too concerned at the moment.

How does being overweight and having babies make people who bitch about carbon foot prints hypocrites(if that is what you meant).

I ask because if we are to stop people from bitching at us about our carbon footprints we should probably be educated as to why they should stop.

babies and fat... i don't understand

• Members

How does being overweight and having babies make people who bitch about carbon foot prints hypocrites(if that is what you meant).

I ask because if we are to stop people from bitching at us about our carbon footprints we should probably be educated as to why they should stop.

babies and fat... i don't understand

The fatter you are, the more energy you consume and the more waste you produce. Having kids basically adds another human being to the "global warming problem" (if you believe it is an issue). Another mouth to feed, less space for the rest of us, more consumption of energy, more waste....

I have friend who constantly complains about global warming and carbon footprints, consuming too much energy.....yet he is over weight, his wife is obese and they recently had a child which just adds to the problem they constantly complain about.

I find that to be very hypocritical.

I'm not saying I believe or don't believe in GW or that my personal carbon foot print is fine or not. I just think that a lot of people I meet that are so militant about these issues seem to be too concerned with the rest of the world instead of starting with themselves first, that's all.

http://www.livescience.com/health/090421-obese-climate-change-2.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE53I2RG20090420

• Members

I'm fairly certain mine is quite big, I don't care at all.

I swapped out all my light bulbs for florescent and recycle and that's just about as far as I can be arsed to do.

Did you swap your lights to save the planet or save money on your hydro bill?

I swapped like 4 unimportant ones(ie crawl space,pantry) cause i hate they light the florescents give, i did it exclusively to save hydro $.

I think recycling is very important.

And in fact once i got on the train i noticed that i have very little actual garbage.

• Members

The fatter you are, the more energy you consume and the more waste you produce. Having kids basically adds another human being to the "global warming problem" (if you believe it is an issue). Another mouth to feed, less space for the rest of us, more consumption of energy, more waste....

I have friend who constantly complains about global warming and carbon footprints, consuming too much energy.....yet he is over weight, his wife is obese and they recently had a child which just adds to the problem they constantly complain about.

I find that to be very hypocritical.

I'm not saying I believe or don't believe in GW or that my personal carbon foot print is fine or not. I just think that a lot of people I meet that are so militant about these issues seem to be too concerned with the rest of the world instead of starting with themselves first, that's all.

These people are misinformed, TV addicts, no doubt.

You should help them understand.

People want to do what is right i think, sounds like they are anxious to latch onto something, give them another option.

They are apart of 'us'. 'Them' is the people targeting us with misinformation and manipulation. Why? Well the reasons are sad, but they will never stop if we don't help each other walk away from it and start to Ignore it and live without the shiny fishing lures dangling in our face. That's all it all is.

And we stare and stare and day dream and imagine life is magical etc.

Well no, it's just life. What you see is what you get.

Your fat lazy friends need to replace their search for satisfaction in pepsi over to work and exercise and accomplishment. This will actually satisfy them where the fake fishing lures never will, and then they will not latch on to dumb transparent media {censored} and try to justify it by ranting at you.

See, you have to help them to help yourself.

We have to, i think, force ourselves to not let reaction, emotional reaction especially, determine our actions to misinformed conviction.

We have to know better and take pity to a degree(keep it to ourselves) and then educate.

I believe this is the only way to fight the media (Not saying it's easy, just sayin) and to help the poor souls who believe all this nonsense, and get them away from being subject to the barrage of lies they actively seek out in newspapers, magazines, news radio, news internet.

People have to start to understand that they are being played.

Have a chat with them and ask them if they have ever considered that they are misinformed, lied to actually.

They'll probably get really offended and kick you out of the house.

But they will think about it after you leave, and that is a start.

• Members

as to when it occurs you mean?

Oh it can go into all kind of things

when it occurs

If it occurs

If the next form is life

by what definition of life

if it is a "your" (does individual identity xfer)

if life itself is inherently evil (and should we be party to 'next life' and/or can we opt out)

and so on

oh any number of questions can be raised

• Members

Oh it can go into all kind of things

If there is a next form

If the next form is life

by what definition of life

if it is a "your" (does individual identity xfer)

if life itself is inherently evil (and should we be party to 'next life')

oh any number of questions can be raised

and so do you simply sit with all the options wide open in front of you, without being drawn to any one in particular, or do you have a favorite which speaks to you?

Archived