Potentiometer 101 Help

magnido45

• Members

Hi Guys,

I need some potentiometer 101 help...I'd appreciate the knowledge if any one can answer a few questions.

I am planning on upgrading the stock pots on my hollow and semi-hollow Ibanez AF105 and AS103 in the very near future. I was told that these pots from StewMac are a perfect replacement (you don't have to enlarge the holes for the shafts to fit through).

(item#:0130, 500K-ohm).

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Standard_Control_Pots.html

I was told that these are Alpha pots. I'm still learning about potentiometers...I guess these are audio (or log) taper pots...which are commonly used for both volume and tone controls?

When would it be your preference to use linear taper pots?

The OEM pots that come on the AF and AS models are mini pots. I understand that the advantage of using mini pots enable an easier install through the f-holes.

In your experience, are the standard sized pots better than the mini pots when it comes to accuracy in controlling the "wiper", which changes the resistance? I noticed that the controls cut out a lot sooner on the mini pots as to the standard size pots on my Les Paul when you turn them from one end to the other. I don't like how it cuts out so fast.

Archived