Amp makes popping noise

samuraiBSD

• Members

Put this in my NGD/NAD thread, but it seems the actual pictures are the focus of that, so I'll ask in a separate thread.

My amp makes a popping noise. It sounds like what happens when you put in/pull out a cord from the input while the amp is on, except it's continual and happens at random intervals.

A) what's the problem?

B) What's the fix?

C) Could I do it myself? Usually the fact that one asks that question means the answer is "no", but...well, it's still a valid question.

Thanks.

• Members

does your guitar have active pickups? Because if it does, the second tip can sometimes come in contact with the tip of the cord and sends a signal to the amp which results as a popping sound.

No, my guitar has passives.

The popping noise happens even if there's nothing plugged in. The amp only has one channel, and this happens at all volumes that remain audible (for example, won't happen if volume is all the way down.)

• Members

can u try it in a different house. might be your electrics/interference believe it or not.

also try picking up the amp, shaking/knocking it a bit, turning it upside down/on its side etc and trying it like that (upside down). im not joking, as this will tell u if its a 'slight' problem/soldering/loose wire/component..

see if it still does it when reverb is turned off/unplugged

see if it does it on only on a certain channel (eg. clean channel)

did u say it's a valve amp? if it is, hopefully it could just be a valve issue. actually i did have a valve amp which had the same problem as you and i fixed it by changing the valves, or just pull them all out and push them all back in firmly if u dont want to replace

• Members

can u try it in a different house. might be your electrics/interference believe it or not.

I've tried it in a different floor of this dorm...it still does it.

also try picking up the amp, shaking/knocking it a bit, turning it upside down/on its side etc and trying it like that (upside down). im not joking, as this will tell u if its a 'slight' problem/soldering/loose wire/component..

Do you do this to all your amps? I'd be afraid that would crack the tubes...

see if it still does it when reverb is turned off/unplugged

No reverb.

see if it does it on only on a certain channel (eg. clean channel)

I mentioned before, it only has one channel

did u say it's a valve amp? if it is, hopefully it could just be a valve issue. actually i did have a valve amp which had the same problem as you and i fixed it by changing the valves, or just pull them all out and push them all back in firmly if u dont want to replace

That's my next test, once I track down a screwdriver.

• Members

I would guess just an intermittent connection. Either bad solder joint, or component going bad - possibly just an intermittent pot that might be helped with some contact cleaner. It would help if you identified the amp, and provided a little history. How old is the amp? When the prob started, etc..

• Members

im guessing a pre amp valve. id stake my reputation on it ^_^

i had exactly the same problem with a laney lc15 valve amp

ps. u only need to buy/get one new preamp valve. then just test the new valve in each position until the popping goes away (you probably have 3 preamp (smaller) valves). no need to replace ALL the valves obviously. mind u, if u are still using stock valves, i recommend getting a set of tungsol 12ax7. not expensive and awesome sounding!! the best man. the best (ignore everyone else, ive tried them all.. seriously)

oh one more thing. if the valve amp is old, and the valves have been in there years, and u are putting in new valves, u should pull out the old valves, spray the legs of the old valves with contact cleaner, then push them in/out of the valve sockets a few times. this will clean the valve sockets. then when u put in the new valves u will have a really good clean reliable contact/connection. i know a lot of technicians who swear by that.

tung-sol-12ax7-1.jpg

Archived