How long does it take for Fender to ship a guitar to a store??

• Members

I went to the local guitar shop here in town, payed $860 for a classic 50's strat which includes a really well-done setup. He only had the guitar in seafoam and I wanted a black one, so he said he'd have to order it from the company.

that was on June 10th and still no guitar...:mad:

• Members

i ordered a 2008 am std tele in natural last year about this time....the music store called me the next day and said what normally takes a week was gonna be a couple of months because fender was having difficulties finding good ash.......

i waited .....it was worth it!

• Members

Do you guys think he's full of shit or what? He told me Fender produces their guitars in batches and that they wait until there are a certain number of requests before they actually build another batch of said guitar. Is this true?

Having toured the factory, I'd say that this was true.

• Members

shit, I can't really get my money back since the receipt says "no refunds" on it.

And he told me the warehouse is out of stock, plus I live in Alaska so it didn't surprise me that it would take around 90 days like he initially told me, but this is fucking rediculous!

• Members

i wouldn't give a damn what the receipt says if he has your money and you don't have a guitar months later... tell him you want you money back.. if he doesn't give it back... then technically he stole from you and time to take appropriate action.

you purchase to order a guitar is technically a contract... but it applies to both parties... he has failed to meet the terms of the contract.

im not a lawyer... so i could be completely wrong... but if someone has a 1000 dollars of my money and hasn't delivered... i'll be getting my money back one way or another.

• Members

i wouldn't give a damn what the receipt says if he has your money and you don't have a guitar months later... tell him you want you money back.. if he doesn't give it back... then technically he stole from you and time to take appropriate action.

you purchase to order a guitar is technically a contract... but it applies to both parties... he has failed to meet the terms of the contract.

im not a lawyer... so i could be completely wrong... but if someone has a 1000 dollars of my money and hasn't delivered... i'll be getting my money back one way or another.

Yeah - that's the best thing about speaking with people directly, instead of ordering by internet yourself... If the guy refuses to give you money back, just intimidate him. He won't run away with all the shop in his pocket.

• Members

shit, I can't really get my money back since the receipt says "no refunds" on it.

And he told me the warehouse is out of stock, plus I live in Alaska so it didn't surprise me that it would take around 90 days like he initially told me, but this is fucking rediculous!

I don't give it shit what the receipt days. If he hasn't delivered the product, he owes you a refund. You paid for product, it isn't there.

I would go in and throw a fit and get the money back and buy the guitar directly from someone with it in stock.

If you paid for it with a credit card, then it's easy, you contest with the credit card company and they'll force him to deliver the guitar or refund the money back. If you paid cash, then it's much harder, but you can hound the hell out of him until he caves.

Hold onto the receipt, make a copy, just in case.

But if he told you up front it was going to take 90 days, he at least warned you. At best, you should have only put down a deposit, but ideally, never pay for a backstock, always go and find it in stock.

• Members

Yeah - that's the best thing about speaking with people directly, instead of ordering by internet yourself... If the guy refuses to give you money back, just intimidate him. He won't run away with all the shop in his pocket.

Lol.. You are right! Intimidating owners of local music shops is a great way to go! I mean, if Musicians friend screws you over and you threaten them over the phone it seems so insincere. It's much better in person where someone really thinks you are threatening them with harm! IM SERIOUS.

• Members

I'm sure it's different from state to state but I doubt he will get far with that action. If it says no cash refunds, they the best you'll probably get is store credit.

It's difficult enough to recoup money for services rendered here.

If it's a M&P it will take them longer to get it special order or not.

Most shops owners here say their Winter NAMM orders don't start showing up until SeptemberOctober.

I know a guy who order a G&L to his specs and his wait was well over 6 months.

I would press the guy for an answer but I doubt he's trying to screw you.

• Members

I would press the guy for an answer but I doubt he's trying to screw you.

That's basically what I came here trying to find out: does a wait like this sound possible? According to him, it's all Fender's fault, since they haven't sent a guitar to him yet. I was just trying to see if his story had ANY validity...

And to be honest I'm pretty surprised by this. He's a really friendly guy who definitely knows his shit (is also a licensed fender dealer) and helped me a ton in figuring out what type of guitar would be best for me. I dunno, I can't picture him just screwing over some teenager for no reason whatsoever, especially when he has a privately-owned store that's trying to compete with Best Buy.

I just wish he didn't have such a thick accent, since calling him is useless seeing as how I can't understand a single word he says over the phone!:blah:

• Members

I've been in the same boat with special orders before. If something isn't in stock, the best you can do is tell the customer what the vendor tells you (which sometimes is just a stock line). I know I ordered an Ibanez Prestige for a customer once and it was about 8 months. Fender does do stuff in batches and mom and pop shops get what is left over after the big box stores orders' are filled, so it is 100% possible that they're just waiting for it to come in from backorder. Just check in regularly and if you want you're money back or want to switch for something else, don't be a prick about it. Unless the guy is a complete jerk, I'm sure he'll work with you, especially after a long wait.

• Members

I never said go in there and be a pain in the ass about it or rough anyone up etc. But long story short you paid him money for a product. You didn't receive the product. This isn't services rendered. This is a purchase. Regardless of whether or not the receipt says no refunds he has not delivered on his end of the agreement. If it's an honest it's not available yet situation I'm sure he can provide proof, make a phone call, whatever to show you that it's just a waiting game for stock. If not there are ways to get your money back legally just depends how much effort you want to put into it. Me personally I am the type of person that doesn't take being given the runaround lightly.

If he's on the up and up he has nothing to gain from not providing some tangible reassurance that all is in order, that's just good customer service. It's not like this is some special one off custom shop guitar. It's an off the shelf production model. If he can't get it and someone else has it why should you have to wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I wanted a sunburst strat but the store was out of stock so I special ordered one back on July 16th. Originally I was told 6-8 weeks. It's now been 11 weeks and counting. Got fed up waiting and they agreed to give me my money back while I wait for it to come in. I'm now shopping around online trying to find it in stock.