is it okay to shim a neck with cardboard?

twotimingpete

• Members

piece of a playing card works too- or a little piece of mesh (like what they use in screen windows) that works real good.

Holy avatar! :love:

In theory a hardwood full pocket size shim would be best but most people just stick a pick in there and call it a day. This is what Nash uses.

• Members

I used a buiness card to change the neck angle of my telecaster. As it was, the truss rod had to be cranked and the saddles were at mid-height just to get a playable instrument (even with 9s), and the action from frets 12-23 was a mile high. Add a thin strip of paper from a business card to the heel (bridge) end of the neck and the angle is much better. The truss rod can actually be used to adjust the action instead of compensating for the bad angle, and the change in string height is much less drastic up and down the neck.

Unfortunately, the saddles are really high now, but it works. I figure I should check to make sure the nut is high enough, and if so, go in and gently sand down the neck pocket so the neck sits lower. Pretty sure I need to do that, the highway 1 telecaster neck has a lip on it, every other telecaster I've see the neck lip appears to sit on the pickguard. On mine it is maybe 3/16" above it.

But yeah, use shims to adjust neck angle OR compensate for too deep of a neck pocket.

• Members

Ok, What I found works best is the little white adhesive lables you find in the stationary section of almost any store. they come in a couple different sizes.

Cut them into strips, The bitchin thing is you just keep sticking them on top of each other untill you get the thickness you want, and here is the really cool part, THEY STAY IN PLACE and don't slip or move around when your checking the neck height or re-mounting it. Uber Bitchin

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Ok, What I found works best is the little white adhesive lables you find in the stationary section of almost any store. they come in a couple different sizes.

Cut them into strips, The bitchin thing is you just keep sticking them on top of each other untill you get the thickness you want, and here is the really cool part, THEY STAY IN PLACE and don't slip or move around when your checking the neck height or re-mounting it. Uber Bitchin

:thu:

That's a great idea. Thanks. :)

That'll be particularly useful for guitars with the truss rod nut at the heal.

• Members

I have a bolt on neck axe whose action can't get quite low enough with the bridge adjustment. I think the neck needs to be mounted a bit higher. can I shim it with cardboard and get good results or is that a bad idea? I'd just like to bring it up a hair.

Not like cardboard box card cause its hollow and squishy and the neck will drop and come loose slightly over time, but business cards are fine and ideal!

• Members

good stuff, thanks. I was about to ask if a pick would make a good shim. I have all of these ultra slim nylon picks that need a use.
;)

I don't like picks for shims because they don't cover enough sufface area.

I like shims as wide as the pocket so the neck is not trying to ballance on a small piece.

I use plastic but cereal box type cadrboard should work fine.

Archived