Sign in to follow this  
Annoying Twit

Is it just me or do Rick copies sometimes just look .... wrong?

I dunno, I see lots of Rickenbacker copies, but they always somehow just look "wrong", and not in a good way.

r360_vs_2.jpg

I see lots of LP copies, Strat copies, etc., that look a bit different in a good way. But all the Rick copies I see just look ..... meh.

More:

ricken_main.jpg

ricken_th3.jpg

If it was just the legal problem, couldn't they change the design of the guitar in a way that looks nice. It's possible for other styles of guitars.

soltero.jpg (Looks great IMHO)

The Ric is an odd shape to begin with. It's a tough one to evoke without looking stupid.

Yeah, I guess that's right. But surely it's not impossible.

I like the styling of most of the Italia range, but the Rimini ..... not so much:

GUITAR_17_front.jpg

Mine look pretty much spot-on... but they are also from the 70s & 80s before Ric dropped the hammer on copies/replicas. Modern Ric "copies" are more of an "inspired-by" ilk.

b_4001.jpg

g_325.jpg

g_330.jpg

I've heard that the "Anniversary" Rick copies are modern day Tokai copies. But, I haven't seen any in person and have only seen small photos online. A shop not too far from me is supposed to have them in stock. Maybe one day I'll go see them.

rickenbacker330fireglosmall.jpg

The Ric is an odd shape to begin with. It's a tough one to evoke without looking stupid.

EG

This. Ricks have a very refined ugliness, which ranges from passable to "so ugly it's mean as balls" (think 4001). a knockoff is just hideous.

That's because Rick's lawyers make Gibson's look like layabouts...

Exactly. They did such a great job of enforcing their patents early on, that you can't find a copy that closely resembles one. Instead, I'm a fan of the guitars that pay homage to the Ric, like that new Schecter (can't remember the name).

EDIT: Great minds...

My first electric guitar was a Teisco May Queen that someone put a Ric nameplate on and sold me as a Ric (I was young and stupid and there was no internet) for $85.00

For years I kept looking for another one.

emayqueen.jpg