Sign in to follow this  
HanSolo

NGD ... Washburn Spalted Jazzbox

I just picked this up today from a former Washburn Mktg Director. Supposed to have been ony3 of this model made, a Washburn HB150SM. Very cool jazz box with a Washburn Idol shape. I saw one of these about 6 months ago on ebay and couldn't get it out of my head. Feels like a Wes Montgomery J7. Sound wise, it is a bit livelier sounding. Not sure on the pickups yet but I've yet to fool around with it, though it is not really a twanger like the Gretschbuckers might lead you to believe. I didn't own a fat jazz box and thought this one was cool.

1040628.jpg

1040634.jpg 1040629.jpg

1040635.jpg 1040637.jpg

• Like 1

thats awesome.

What pick ups are those?

I am guessing Artec. The seller told me that they did not use the Washburn pickups in these. They sound very similar to the Artec Giovanni's I put in an Ibanez hollowbody.

HAWT!!!

(oYo)

Veru nice HNGD!!

I have to ask.... how much?

I hate to kiss and tell but I gave $432.00 for it! I did ok.

I hate to kiss and tell but I gave $432.00 for it! I did ok.

Are there any more available? That's a nice deal. When I first started reading this thread, I thought, man that thing should have a spruce top. However, for that price, I probably would own it as well.

I would love to hear some clips, and I don't care how well you play. I just want to hear that thing. Please post clips.

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

On 10/5/2009 at 1:38 PM, HanSolo said:

I just picked this up today from a former Washburn Mktg Director. Supposed to have been ony3 of this model made, a Washburn HB150SM. Very cool jazz box with a Washburn Idol shape. I saw one of these about 6 months ago on ebay and couldn't get it out of my head. Feels like a Wes Montgomery J7. Sound wise, it is a bit livelier sounding. Not sure on the pickups yet but I've yet to fool around with it, though it is not really a twanger like the Gretschbuckers might lead you to believe. I didn't own a fat jazz box and thought this one was cool.

1040628.jpg

1040634.jpg 1040629.jpg

1040635.jpg 1040637.jpg

Do you happen to know what year that guitar is made?  That is a beauty.  I'm kind of a Washburn enthusiast so it would be interesting to know more about the history behind that guitar.  The Idol body works quite well on a hollowbody.  I have one of Washburn's new Idol Standard 26 models.  Though I am hoping they really expand on the Idol line.  Here is a video of me playing my Idol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzel2XduGQ

I sold this a while back. I play mostly classic rock and didn't use it much. I doubled my money when I sold it so there was something special about it. It was hand signed (initials DR last pic) on the truss rod cover. When I contacted Washburn, they had no production records for that style guitar and the guitar itself had no serial numbers. Oddly, it had a 3 piece neck with a scarf joint at the heel and headstock rather than a 5 piece laminated neck like a J5 Wes Montgomery. The electronics were an odd choice of "Gretschy style" pickup covers on run of the mill PAF's. It did have a MIK feel and quality to it. As you can see from the pics, the workmanship was flawless.

The guy I bought it from claimed to have been recently fired from Washburn/World Music as a Marketing Mgr. and claimed it was one of 3 prototypes made for artist approval as a signature series. He may have told me the artist's name but I knew nothing about jazz players and didn't retain it. I believe this model was actually called the HB155SM. Boogie Street had a couple of this shape in a Red Velvet finish (matte red) and possibly White they were selling at that time with the same appointments. I called Washburn and they new nothing about the model. Here are all the pics of it I had:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png