12AY7 or 12AU7 in V1 instead of a 12AX7? Why?

Doctor Morbius

• Members

Actually, he used AA763 or AB763 Blackface Vibroverbs, which are very clean amps stock, before SRV died they were hunted out almost exclusively for pedal steel playing. Cesar Diaz did heavy mods to SRV's VV's to set them up for dirt.

Ah, I see. I should have also remembered that SRV liked him some TS-9 and 808 as well.:cop:

• Members

(And one has to wonder why you'd need need MORE headroom in an amp like a Fender Twin anyway. Most of the time players are INCREASING the preamp gain on an amp like that with pedals to get MORE overdrive not less.)

Actually the quick and dirty trick for getting some growl out of a TR is to pop out the middle two tubes. It's not going to come close to Marshall (of course) but it will get it's own slightly distorted overtones which I find quite lovely.

I have a mid 70s master volume twin. It's 85 watts w/ all 4 power tubes and roughly 40 with 2. With 2 tubes instead of 4 I can dime the master volume and with the channel at 5 or 6 start getting a little overdrive. The loudness at this level is good for full band practice and small shows, definitely not bedroom levels. You can get overdrive reducing the master and cranking the channel but it doesn't sound that great on the Twin.

• Members

Yes, but I don't think he was using a Twin Reverb. I think he was a big fan of the Vibroverb which you wouldn't have any trouble getting to overdrive. He also used Bassmans, Vibratones (Leslie), and Super Reverbs I believe. But Twin Reverbs are known for having clean headroom up to the stratosphere. You can crank 'em up crazy loud and they don't distort.

For In Step he used a '62 Twin Reverb, in addition to the Vibroverbs, Marshalls, etc.

He had been using Twins for a long time. I think that on Montreaux he used 2 and was told that he was too loud.

• 10 years later...
  • Members
On 10/13/2009 at 2:20 AM, Josh S said:

It's not so much that they give you more clean headroom - more that they just turn down the gain in your pre-amp. They are much lower gain tubes than the standard 12ax7.

Try it - you'll probably like it :thu:

• Members
23 minutes ago, daddymack said:

sadly, you are 10+ years t0o late to help ol' Josh...

There have been two new members on the HCEG forum in recent minutes whose sole post was to simply quote a previous post, offering no new information. 

Spam bots testing the waters most likely.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mrbrown49 said:

There have been two new members on the HCEG forum in recent minutes whose sole post was to simply quote a previous post, offering no new information. 

or N0oBz who don't understand the quote window...spammers have been pretty much thwarted since we went to human intervention on membership

1 hour ago, mrbrown49 said:

Possibly...  but we're watching. :snax: 

When in doubt, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when I'm deciding which new sign-ups to the site to approve, because I don't want to accidentally keep legit posters / new members off. OTOH, that means that occasionally a spammer is going to get through. Still, since switching over to manual approval for all new members, the amount of spam has decreased significantly... 

• Members
16 minutes ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Possibly...  but we're watching. :snax: 

When in doubt, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when I'm deciding which new sign-ups to the site to approve, because I don't want to accidentally keep legit posters / new members off. OTOH, that means that occasionally a spammer is going to get through. Still, since switching over to manual approval for all new members, the amount of spam has decreased significantly... 

Yeah, that seemed like a good move. Thanks for keeping on it.  :thu:

Archived