Which pickup sounds the best to you? (youtube content)

EADGBE

• Members

Tough call given the situation.

The Super D is a "go to" hot ceramic bridge pup for me but it didn't sound the best (imo) in those clips. I liked the Axis and RG tones the most. I think they would sit well in a band situation with that style riffage. Kick in the drums and some fat low end bass tones (with a picking style perhaps).....

• Members

He's doing a pickup comparison and tells you not to take notice of the overall tone?!

Well, at that level of distortion, you can't hear much of a difference apart from overall relative brightness or darkness, but to my ear the best one was probably the stock Les Paul Custom. Again, that could be less to do with the pickup, than the fact it is lodged in a thick slab of mahogany with a maple cap etc.

• Members

Ouch. It all sounds like a $50 Gorilla.

Really? I thought it sounded pretty good. I have an amp like that. Maybe that's why it sounded good to me. I don't have a vintage 30 cab though. I thought the super distortion and EMG-81 sounded the best. I guess a lot of you guys are into really clean tones.

• Members

Really? I thought it sounded pretty good. I have an amp like that. Maybe that's why it sounded good to me. I don't have a vintage 30 cab though. I thought the super distortion and EMG-81 sounded the best. I guess a lot of you guys are into really clean tones.

Not at all into clean tones. The lead channel with the gain maxed on my Mesa MarkIV is my favorite tone. That video was muddy sounding that's all. A bit before your time and nothing really to do with this thread but the dude with the Goldtop in this video has a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and I used to hear it quite a bit when I'd see them play.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

They're not before my time. I was listening to them in 1980. My first impression of them was they reminded me of ZZ Top.

Like ZZTop on steroids!!! Rickey Medlocke is in Lynyrd Skynyrd now. But I digress!

Are you thinking of getting a new pickup, guitar, or amp? Or did you just really like the sound in that video? The guy has some killer gear and plays very well, it's just that something flubby sounding. The two Dimarzio pickups sound best.

• Members

I preferred the SDistortion followed by the 498 - the rest seemed too indistinct.

yeah, all these get eq'd differently tho on the amp in the real world.

I'd probably push the mids. treble with the 498. (that's proly a peavey with the dsd.)

edit: I liked the dsd 2nd best- but his amp does haz beez.

Archived