Interesting Floyd Rose interview

EADGBE

• Members

Wow! I can get the guitar below for $799! Includes hardshell case. USA made. I wonder if the electronics are worth a poop....

rctgfwprortonr_angle1.jpg

And probably cheaper now since some models had a 14 hour sale. I remember some models were under $700.

I'm still tempted, but the cost of strings make me a bit hesitant.

• Members

It's not that difficult to set up. Just level the bridge and tune it. Then check for intonation. Then figure out if the string needs more or less compensation. Then loosen the string and loosen the saddle screw and move it either forward or backwards. Then re-tune and check. You may have to do this a couple of times until you get it correct. The more you do it the easier it gets. The reason it's made the way is is so it will be more solid. Solidity contributes to sustain. The bridge behaves as one large piece of metal when everything is bolted down tight.

I like how you say it's not difficult, then go on to describe just how difficult it is. :D

Okay, maybe not difficult but certainly a pain in the ass.

• Members

I don't know fellas, Intonation? You need to do that one time and the guitar is good for the rest of it's life, as long as you do not change the gauge of the stings.

I never thought anything on a floyd was difficult to work on, once i knew how to do it.

It's not as easy as on some other guitars, but it's still not an issue. The tuning stability is unmatched, so it is a pretty big winner in my book.

• Members
I like how you say it's not difficult, then go on to describe just how difficult it is.
:D

Okay, maybe not difficult but certainly a pain in the

You only have to do it once. It's not like learning how to use a computer.

• Members

Well, for the original Floyd, you can get The Key to help intonating it:

0022_1lg.jpg

Probably worth the $15.

I use that, it works great. It was the deciding factor in choosing to buy either an OFR or a Schaller Floyd, the Schaller Floyd has a thicker baseplate (so I've read) than the OFR so I guess that's why it won't fit on it.

But on the box of the OFR it also says Made by Schaller in Germany, so I guess the quality is the same.

Archived