Interesting Floyd Rose interview

EADGBE

• Members

I always thought EVH got the first FR trem, Hansen 2nd, and then Brad Gillis 3rd. I have always read that EVH helped in the fine-tuning of the FR design. Now Floyd's giving him no credit? Also, I've read where Gillis claims he was Rose's 3rd endorsee. Ah, who cares? You gotta respect Floyd Rose's contribution to the electric guitar.

• Members

Yeah, I a big fan of the Speedloader system, but I find it sadly amusing that an interview with Floyd - where he talks about the Speedloader strings always being available - is on the Musicians Friend website, who stopped selling the Speedloader strings.

The strings are one of the reasons I decided not to get a Floyd Rose Redmond, which are affordable at the moment.

Floyd's website has the strings advertised for $10 or $11. The dealer wants to charge $15 for them. I could buy those overpriced strings from Floyd Rose directly, but I've read a few comments regarding poor customer service. :(

I just bought some DR strings and paid less than $3 per pack, including some coated strings. I'm not paying $10 or $15. I don't think I ever paid that much, even when I used Maxima Gold strings.

• Members

I always thought EVH got the first FR trem, Hansen 2nd, and then Brad Gillis 3rd. I have always read that EVH helped in the fine-tuning of the FR design. Now Floyd's giving him no credit? Also, I've read where Gillis claims he was Rose's 3rd endorsee. Ah, who cares? You gotta respect Floyd Rose's contribution to the electric guitar.

I'll take FRs word over EVHs. EVH can be kind of a dick.

• Members

The overall design of the guitar is not bad but I tried one of these and it is impossible to play in anything but standard tuning. Maybe you get away with drop D but I switch to different tunings allot.

If you are going to stick with standard tuning and you like Floyds this is a cool guitar. If you don't really like Floyds, the guy still has had a huge impact on the electric guitar.

• Members

How old is that? Didnt MF blow out all of those OF speed loader guitars over a year ago? And the redmonds are pretty hard to get new.

I almost pulled the trigger..many...many times on a Redmond.

I have originals floyds, a floyd pro, a Floyd II etc etc. Love em.

• Members

The overall design of the guitar is not bad but I tried one of these and it is impossible to play in anything but standard tuning. Maybe you get away with drop D but I switch to different tunings allot.

The Speedloaders can be set up to alternate tunings. It takes a bit of setup work, but then you can't really change tunings on the fly on a regular Floyd either, unless you've got it set to dive-only.

• Members

How old is that? Didnt MF blow out all of those OF speed loader guitars over a year ago? And the redmonds are pretty hard to get new.

Looks like the interview is from 2005.

I have to say, the one place Floyd Rose (the company) falls down HARD is on marketing.

Over the years I've stumbled across a number of Floyd Rose guitars that have never ever ever been photographed or even mentioned on the company webpage. We're not just talking different colors, etc. but entire models - the DSOT discovery strats with the Floyd Original trems, DSOT-V series flying V's with Floyd Original trems, the V-24 Arrows flying V's with the Speedloader trems, the Seattle Series (a unique body style), and the International Series. No mention at all from the company.

• Members

What I never understood was why the FR trem was made so that adjusting intonation is unnecessarily difficult. I don't know if they used to come with the intonation tool but IMO that's a flaw in the design that something like that is even needed. Not to mention it's hard to find these days and only works on few FR designs.

To me the trem has way too many parts.

• Members
What I never understood was why the FR trem was made so that adjusting intonation is unnecessarily difficult. I don't know if they used to come with the intonation tool but IMO that's a flaw in the design that something like that is even needed. Not to mention it's hard to find these days and only works on few FR designs.

To me the trem has way too many parts.

It's not that difficult to set up. Just level the bridge and tune it. Then check for intonation. Then figure out if the string needs more or less compensation. Then loosen the string and loosen the saddle screw and move it either forward or backwards. Then re-tune and check. You may have to do this a couple of times until you get it correct. The more you do it the easier it gets. The reason it's made the way is is so it will be more solid. Solidity contributes to sustain. The bridge behaves as one large piece of metal when everything is bolted down tight.

• Members

It's not that difficult to set up. Just level the bridge and tune it. Then check for intonation. Then figure out if the string needs more or less compensation. Then loosen the string and loosen the saddle screw and move it either forward or backwards. Then re-tune and check. You may have to do this a couple of times until you get it correct. The more you do it the easier it gets. The reason it's made the way is is so it will be more solid. Solidity contributes to sustain. The bridge behaves as one large piece of metal when everything is bolted down tight.

It's not that I don't know how to do it, but when you loosen the saddle it tends to fall forward so it's difficult to get it to the position where it was and then just a little bit backward or forward. This makes truly accurate intonation harder to achieve.

The way it's done in a Wilkinson VS100 is much smarter: while the saddle is locked in place, there's also a grub screw that sets the intonation.

• Members

There are probably over a dozen Redmonds on eBay, new. The prices are attractive. I almost bought one, but passed.

Wow! I can get the guitar below for $799! Includes hardshell case. USA made. I wonder if the electronics are worth a poop....

rctgfwprortonr_angle1.jpg

Archived