Who else plays with a scrunchie?

evh1984

• Members

Someone recently turned me on to the joys of playing with a scrunchie as a string damper. It's been amazing....when I'm playing with lots of distortion the scrunchie easily damps any uneccessary vibration on the strings I'm not using. The same goes for playing clean. I'm pretty sloppy and it looks like the scrunchie is my prayer answered.

Who else uses one?

lycra_scrunchie.jpg

P.S. - I only use USA made scrunchies, not those damn Chinese knock-offs.

• Members

Am I mistaken, or is this a low-tech enhancement to mask sloppy playing?

Not the way I use them - I put the scrunchie between the nut and the tuners so that they kill any sympathetic vibration that occurs in that small length of string.

The benefits of doing this are very apparent when recording - it can also tame feedback a bit during live performance.

Putting it in front of the nut is cool when recording precise tapping licks, but I'd never do that live.

• Members

Not the way I use them - I put the scrunchie
between
the nut and the tuners so that they kill any sympathetic vibration that occurs in that small length of string.

The benefits of doing this are very apparent when recording - it can also tame feedback a bit during live performance.

Putting it in front of the nut is cool when recording precise tapping licks, but I'd never do that live.

Have you tried using rubber grommets wedged between the strings instead ? Same principle, not as hideous.

Someone on this forum turned me on to using them on my Semi-hollow between the trapeze tailpiece & bridge to get rid of overtones/vibrations etc.

I bought a bunch from Lowes for a couple bucks.

• Members

Not the way I use them - I put the scrunchie
between
the nut and the tuners so that they kill any sympathetic vibration that occurs in that small length of string.

They are great at making palm muted stuff more "djenty" too. Say you want a very percussive sound by damping the strings, and hitting a big fat drop D or C or whatever chord, followed by a dramatic pause. Without a srunchie you might get a slight ringing after the hit. but with one it's clean and easy, no slight ringing or after-tone transient.

• Members

...Jennifer Batten uses (or used to) scrunchies to dampen strings. She came out with this later:

The only thing funnier would be to use a "long-haired" scrunchie! :)

I forget who it was (male guitar player) that used to tie a tube sock around the nut.

...and then there's MAB that uses this:
http://www.angelo.com/html/the_mab_string_dampener.html

• Members

One time I had a $25.00 Gift Certificate for Musician's Friend. So I ordered some stuff with it including a scrunchie which made the order total $25.90.

I tried to get Customer Service to throw in the scrunchie free but they wouldn't.

So MF lost a customer for life that day.

Archived