Road Worn Tele

Zoidberg

• Members

Even the Nash ones are overdone...even the "light" relic ones. If they could just take the guitar they start with on the Road Worn or a Nash...nitro finish, nice neck, reasonable frets, and just sell it "as is" without all the relic stuff, they may have something.

Looks like the Tele I want will have to be custom made. I'd like one that's a nitro finished butterscotch blonde with tinted maple fretboard. a modern "c" neck with a satin nitro finish. Modern wiring.

Fender get's close, but misses the mark for me. They have their "thin skin" 52 tele, but it has a humbucker at the neck which I don't want. They have their expensive "nocaster" but it has the old U neck which I don't want. Or the 52 reissue which may have the old wiring where position one is the bridge, position 2 is Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit) and position 3 is Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)....oh, but they give you the stuff for the modern wiring that you'll have to install yourself.

Some models get close, but don't have exactly what I want right out of the box. I'm just lazy...:D

• Members

IMHO, they are over priced, and anything close than 6feet/1,8meters, the relic job looks (to my eyes) badly done, in a 'forced artificial way'.

This is one guitar on looks alone that *I* will stay away from, because it looks like a brand new guitar that was reliced in 24hours.

It does
not
look natural/convincing -
at all

It honestly looks like a fake . . .

I would rather buy a standard Tele ($700.00) and let it relic through the year via my own carelessness and hard playing.

My 2cents

the good news is Fender also make guitars for people like you, they are brand new with no dings or marks and are ready to be aged naturally. But a small portion of their guitars are made for the small portion of people that dig the vintage look. Either way it's win/win for everyone. :thu:

I've played a couple and they really do feel great. The relicing is a touch over done and it looks strange when you see 3 of them lined up in a shop looking exactly the same. But at home or on stage by themselves i'm sure they would look fine. The only real problem with is they are too expensive, but they are dropping as more become second hand.

• Members

the good news is Fender also make guitars for people like you, they are brand new with no dings or marks and are ready to be aged naturally. But a small portion of their guitars are made for the small portion of people that dig the vintage look. Either way it's win/win for everyone.
:thu:

I've played a couple and they really do feel great. The relicing is a touch over done and it looks strange when you see 3 of them lined up in a shop looking exactly the same. But at home or on stage by themselves i'm sure they would look fine. The only real problem with is they are too expensive, but they are dropping as more become second hand.

I do agree that they play nice.

I tried the Tele, but not the strat.

And they are truely wayyy over priced for what they are, imho.

• Members

Even the Nash ones are overdone...even the "light" relic ones. If they could just take the guitar they start with on the Road Worn or a Nash...nitro finish, nice neck, reasonable frets, and just sell it "as is" without all the relic stuff, they may have something.

Yep. Specs look really good on those road worn teles. Ironically, I'd pay more if they would cut out the expense of trying to relic them. Are you listening, Fender??:idea::idea:

• Members

Yep. Specs look really good on those road worn teles. Ironically, I'd pay more if they would cut out the expense of trying to relic them. Are you listening, Fender??
:idea:
:idea:

I'm starting to like the relic'ed-ness in a "I'll play whatever the hell I want"-way, as a sort of a kick in the stomach to the purists ;)

I want that guitar now! :p

• Members

The Roadworn series are really wonderful guitars if you want that vintage Fender feel and tone. Straight out of the box they're really great. I will say that almost every one I've played has desperately needed a setup, but when I bought my Strat it took the neck adjustment perfectly, and it is a fantastic instrument. I'm more attached to this guitar than any of the Fender CS instruments I've owned over the years. I'm not saying that it's better than those other guitars, but it does have something about it that makes it more special to me than any guitar I've owned.

The funny thing about the wear is that you don't see it when you're playing it. It's just not noticeable. People you play for don't notice it either. They don't care. It's just not an issue if you can get past the strange idea (for some) of distressing a guitar. Also, the finish on the body is SO thin, you'll find that the guitar begins to quickly take on it's own character. Even my neck is developing the ovals that you see on heavily worn maple necks.

Lastly, if you do something outrageous to the body, the relic finish doesn't seem to stand out so much!

DSCN0860.jpg

• Members

I'm starting to like the relic'ed-ness in a "I'll play whatever the hell I want"-way, as a sort of a kick in the stomach to the purists
;)
I want that guitar now!
:p

I'm not a purist, and I don't wish to reignite the relic vs. non-relic argument - it's been done to death. In some ways I get where you're coming from. But really, what could be less punk than paying a giant corporation to pre-distress your instrument? Wonder why Joe Strummer had to die before Fender could issue a Strummer tele? I think he would find the fad laughable.

• Members

I'm not a purist, and I don't wish to reignite the relic vs. non-relic argument - it's been done to death. In some ways I get where you're coming from. But really, what could be less punk than paying a giant corporation to pre-distress your instrument? Wonder why Joe Strummer had to die before Fender could issue a Strummer tele? I think he would find the fad laughable.

Can totally see where you're coming from too, but for me, if the guitar feels right to play, then it's the right guitar. When it comes to playing in bands, I've never been that concerned with being "punk" or "rock", I like to do what I'm comfortable with. But I have a feeling our singer will dislike the whole relic-thing. ;)

• Members

Can totally see where you're coming from too, but for me, if the guitar feels right to play, then it's the right guitar. When it comes to playing in bands, I've never been that concerned with being "punk" or "rock", I like to do what I'm comfortable with. But I have a feeling our singer will dislike the whole relic-thing.
;)

Carry on, sir. Hope you get a good one! :thu:

• Members

not worth it when i can get a usacg body, stain it (easy, danish oil), total vintage fat neck from warmoth, miscellaneous parts on mojotone (bridge, backplate tuners etc.), electronics kit from rs guitarworks (best), and handwound pickups from novak or don mare, take it all to a local guy and have a bone nutted (lol) complete assembed set up guitar with all the best components on earth for 850ish. wait what?

• Members

not worth it when i can get a usacg body, stain it (easy, danish oil), total vintage fat neck from warmoth, miscellaneous parts on mojotone (bridge, backplate tuners etc.), electronics kit from rs guitarworks (best), and handwound pickups from novak or don mare, take it all to a local guy and have a bone nutted (lol) complete assembed set up guitar with all the best components on earth for 850ish. wait what?

It doesn't work that way in Norway, I'm afraid :)

• Members

They've got one at the local GC and I've played it a number of times. If I'm gonna try out an amp, I'll normally grab that guitar. I really like the neck and how it plays. The pickups sound great.

I like relics. I create relics with guitars I own that I refinish. But my argument with what Fender has done, at least to the one I've played, is that they reliced it fairly realistically in some places and then not at all in others where there would certainly be wear. A half-assed job of creating a road worn guitar. Turning the guitar over and examining the back, it could pass for a new guitar.

But, with that said, I buy guitars for how they play and sound and that one does extremely well on both counts.

• Members

They're OK but overpriced. Which really brings me to what they really are. Overpriced Mexican Fenders. Do yourself a favor, go buy a MIM Tele and put better pups in it. You can do that for around $500 less than a Road Worn.

different specs. Some people like specs. Custom Shop has similar specs at 3xs the cost. Kind of analogy fail to campare other MIMs to RW without considering specs (neck radius, frets, finish, bridge, PUPs)

Archived