Road Worn Tele

Zoidberg

• Members

What's the general feeling about these?

I find the whole relic-deal kinda corny, but I played a Road Worn Tele (unplugged) at the local shop today, and the neck felt sooo sweet to play.

I might go back and plug it in and see what happens. ;)

But I'm new to teles, and above all I don't want to get something that will be overly sharp/bright-sounding. How are the stock-pickups in these guitars?

I've also tried a Baja Tele in the same store, and I just got the feeling that the Road Worn was somewhat better built, and stayed in tune better..

• Members

Don't believe the bull, this is a great guitar. The Texas Specials are hotter and warmer than your average Tele. The finish is thin nitro. The neck is super smooth. It's a great guitar, though I will say given the choice between this and a Baja I'd take the Baja. There again, however, the Baja may be too bright for you but the S-1 switch is super nifty.

• Members

It's a great guitar, though I will say given the choice between this and a Baja I'd take the Baja. There again, however, the Baja may be too bright for you but the S-1 switch is super nifty.

From what I've read, the Bajas are supposed to have greatly varying build quality? The one I tried seemed a bit... I dunno.. It didn't inspire me. For sure, it had a nice neck too, but I think I might find better built Bajas elsewhere..

• Members

From what I've read, the Bajas are supposed to have greatly varying build quality? The one I tried seemed a bit... I dunno.. It didn't inspire me. For sure, it had a nice neck too, but I think I might find better built Bajas elsewhere..

I will attest to this. I tried out a Baja at the store I go to and it seemed to be falling apart. This would make sense if all the other guitars around it were also falling apart due to being handled by tons of people, but that wasn't the case. This was also a supposedly new Baja. The input jack was all loose, there was a huge gap between the neck and body where it joined. I just didn't dig it, the fit and finish wasn't all that great.

But again, this is just the one Baja I tried out at the music store I go to. I've heard other people raving over the Baja though. So make sure you try one out in person.

• Members

By all accounts, the RW's are great instruments.

The only negative is the fake ageing, which some people (and by this I mean me,) think is pretty bush league.

The dilemma for someone like me is when the instrument quality and price point are enough to disregard unappealing cosmetics.

I would compare the RW to an undesireable color, but I find the RW to be pretentious, and I would find it more difficult to overlook than a nasty color.

Which ironically, is a pretentious viewpoint.

• Members

By all accounts, the RW's are great instruments.

The only negative is the fake ageing, which some people (and by this I mean me,) think is pretty bush league.

It's corny, but I think that is why I like it :p On this particular tele!

The strats I've seen looks kinda {censored}, to be totally honest.

• Members

It's corny, but I think that is why I like it
:p
On this particular tele!

The strats I've seen looks kinda {censored}, to be totally honest.

Personally, I think it goes beyond 'corny,' and is a little douche-y.

Sort of like cutting holes in your jeans.

I have jeans with holes worn into them, and I have guitars with natural signs of wear, and I'm contemptuous of 'fakes.'

But I'm really dreading the day (and I have a feeling it's coming) when the price on these drops drastically, and I'll be forced to get over myself or miss out on what is, according to every review I've read, a great guitar.

Go get it, and fill me in on every detail.

• Members

I've been looking for a blonde tele with a maple neck, and I'm telling you... That price point is just about right.

Problem is, I tried a few today and I just couldn't deal with the relicing on the neck. It feels alright, but it looks SO bad. The relicing on the body actually looks fine, on the other hand.

• Members

I've been looking for a blonde tele with a maple neck, and I'm telling you... That price point is just about right.

Problem is, I tried a few today and I just couldn't deal with the relicing on the neck. It feels alright, but it looks SO bad. The relicing on the body actually looks fine, on the other hand.

They did go a little overboard on the neck.

• Members

IMHO, they are over priced, and anything close than 6feet/1,8meters, the relic job looks (to my eyes) badly done, in a 'forced artificial way'.

This is one guitar on looks alone that *I* will stay away from, because it looks like a brand new guitar that was reliced in 24hours.

It does not look natural/convincing - at all.

It honestly looks like a fake . . .

I would rather buy a standard Tele ($700.00) and let it relic through the year via my own carelessness and hard playing.

My 2cents

• Members

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

Here is a self made/home made relic'ed guitar, that i would proudly play/own.

It looks realistic and not OTT like the mass produced Fenders.

Hell, if i was hard up for a Reliced-look guitar, i would rather look into a Nash creation and pay the exra for a realistic look.

http://www.nashguitars.com/

YMMV

;)

Archived