cutting your own pickguard?

boonestunes

• Members

any tips on cutting your own pickguards? I have an olpMM4 that I want to put a different pickguard on (someone glued buttons or something on this one at some time....) but the online places want upwards of $40-60.......for a guitar that cost me $75.....

So I'm thinking about buying a sheet of PG material and trying it myself. anyone have any tips or advice? what tools to use? anything better than PG material to use?

• Members

It's like a lot of things - seems easy, but it's very hard to do by hand. I've done three or four and never got them to look anywhere near factory. If you can live with the DIY look than go or it. You'll need a jeweler's saw, a coping saw, a drill and some files.

• Members

I cut a pickguard from SC to HB in a tele pickguard with hand tools. I got the job done, but it wasn't pretty. Pickguards are actually harder to cut than they seem.

Maybe somebody makes a sticker veneer you could put over the top of your guard instead of changing the whole thing out? :idea:

I have also painted a white pickguard with ordinary spraypaint to good effect. That will work fine if you just want a solid color pickguard.

• Members

Can be done with hand tools, tho PG plastic can be a bitch. Only issue is the bevel.

I make mine by first producing a template out of 6mm mdf, then using a patten following straight bit and finally a chamfer bit in a router. I also give the chamfered egde a rub with 1000 grit to get rid of machine marks and give it a bit of a shine.

I use a bandsaw and linisher to make the template. But It can be done with a coping saw, files and sandpaper.

• Members

I've used the dremel to route them before, changing pickup holes and changing bridge spacing for floyds.

hadn't thought of painting it, that might be the way to go. or possibly using a sheet of adhesive- saw some at the auto store that looked like carbon fiber and it was wide enough to cover the pg.

thanks for the advice, keep it coming.

• Members

any tips on cutting your own pickguards? I have an olpMM4 that I want to put a different pickguard on (someone glued buttons or something on this one at some time....) but the online places want upwards of $40-60.......for a guitar that cost me $75.....

So I'm thinking about buying a sheet of PG material and trying it myself. anyone have any tips or advice? what tools to use? anything better than PG material to use?

I replaced my guild starfire pickup with clear polycarbonate and painted the backside and edges black. It has the same shape but it's 1/4 inch thick. Now it's bullet proof. :lol:

• Members

...I cut a Rickenbacker esque pickguard for my Squier Stagemaster using a dremel and clear sheeting...took me a few tries...the final version is still not perfect...Its not really difficult...It just time consuming...

Archived