Tips on cleaning a guitar?

NinjaModder

• Members

I have an old 1958 Harmony Stratotone. I want to clean it up a bit.

It has dust on the headstock that won't come off with a blow. Its mainly under the strings. And on the body there is somet dust and smudges and maybe dried of soda or something....

What can you clean a guitars body with? I don't want to ruin the finish. I want to make it look shiny and happy for once instead of smudgey and dusty.

Any tips?

• Members

Taking the strings off will help to clean it better. I recommend using a damp cotton cloth, rag,etc for starters and just give the guitar a solid wipe down.

This or you could use a damp soap rag first then clean damp rince rag and dry good. Then wipe it down with some Dunlope 65 Polish & Cleaner.

• Members

I have some stuff called Power Chord which works well on really dirty guitars. I've only used it a few times on some used stuff I bought that was nasty. It says it wipes out "skank".

So....I used it to get rid of an underdesirable girlfriend once too...

;)

• Members

slightly damp microfiber cloth, wetted with 90/10 water/isopropol alcohol.

I was wondering about this the other day - wont alcohol dissolve some finishes? I know that denatured alcohol will, but how about rubbing alcohol?

I ask this because I learned working with old rifles, that regular rubbing alcohol will almost instantly dissolve some shellac type finishes.

• Members

I was wondering about this the other day - wont alcohol dissolve some finishes? I know that denatured alcohol will, but how about rubbing alcohol?

I ask this because I learned working with old rifles, that regular rubbing alcohol will almost instantly dissolve some shellac type finishes.

That's a good question, but I have been using it on a 1929 Martin guitar for the last 16 years. It still looks the same. You can use Naptha instead.

Archived