What is the best guitar accessory everyone should know about?

joekkl

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't know if it counts or not but an onboard gain boost. Kind of like having a boost pedal onboard. I use the EMG PA-2. Great for solo work, or if you want to add a little extra Punch to your driving riffs. Strap locks would be second. And I never understood the need for a stringwinder either.

• Members

I used to have Fast Fret too, now I use Finger Ease. The problem with Fast Fret is that it dry up within a month or so. Is that same thing happen to you? I don't seem to be able to make it last longer...

I use these instead

p21719.jpg
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DUN-7007SI

But my contribution to this thread - which I've posted here before as a "PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT" - is the Fast Fret.

Keeps strings from tarnishing as quickly and restores slightly oxidized strings back to slick playability.

FastFret.jpg
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastFret/

But I try to apply a quick wipe up and down the strings after each play of my guitars (before putting them away) to remove the salt from finger/hand contact and to leave behind a protective treatment. I've got a lot of guitars and changing my strings is not my favorite things, and neither is playing on black strings, so this stuff really helps preserve the strings. Of course, not spanking fresh, but they don't go to Dullsville anywhere near as fast with this stuff.

• Members
I used to have Fast Fret too, now I use Finger Ease. The problem with Fast Fret is that it dry up within a month or so. Is that same thing happen to you? I don't seem to be able to make it last longer...

Me too. I loved the smell of it. Finger Ease is a quicker application, doesn't push the strings into the frets if you want some on the fingerboard, and works like magic when sprayed on new strings that I am preparing to install.

I Hate those Dunlop strap things. Schallers are so nice.

The string winders are excellent...if you have 13:1, 15:1 or 18:1 tuners then it is easy to see why they are required.

I might have to say money jar though.
big-freaking-money-jar.jpg

Every time you are going to buy a cheap piece of sh!t put the money in a jar. Soon you'll have enough money for something nice...ie Lindy Fralins, Lollars, etc.

• Members

I get a bit longer than that out of them. Funny though, the first one I ever bought was dry right out of the store. Didn't realize until I bought my second one what they should feel like. But yeah, they do dry up before they are used up. But OTH, at $6 a pop, I figure I shouldn't worry too much if I need to toss them out a little earlier. But I have some kicking around that are well over a year old and still working okay. Even if they do dry up, it's still such a convenient way to wipe down your strings. And since the material sloughs off, it's sort of self cleaning devise. And some folks don't like the Fast Frets because they are too slippery, so I guess they'd be happier when they dry out a bit.

I haven't tried "Finger Ease" yet. Is that something that you think might work to lube up a dried out Fast Fret, or is it too thin?

• Members

I use a string winder similar to this. I can change strings so much faster with it. Just make sure to use a variable speed drill:

370156jpg.jpg

Funny, I've bought a couple of those years ago, but have never gotten around to buying an electric screwdriver to go with it. I just think my power drill would be a bit too bulky and overkill.

To me it seems like someone needs to invent a "third hand" for changing strings. Of course, I've managed with two, but it seems like I want one to turn the tuners, one to guide/feed the string around the capstan, and one to maintain tension to keep the wraps tight. So I think there's a need for a tensioner. If I had a work bench, I'd have a support post, like an upside down "L", and have a piece of surgical tubing with a hook on it to put under the string to maintain some tension on the slack as I draw it up. Some other "springy devise" could also be engineered to push up from the middle of the guitar to add the tension.

Where's Rube Goldberg when you need him? In the meantime, I'll still occasionally call upon my wife to lend a finger. ;) But wrangling a woman with ADD to hold still for that is a tough proposition. The pressure is on to start the wrap at the right spot each time before patience runs out.

Anyone use the "Seymour Duncan method of changing strings"?

On his website he shows how he prefers to wrap then insert thru the capstan. It's not a bad idea. It assures the correct length, cuts down on wear and tear on the tuners, and is faster - But I like being able to pinch the string (especially the unwound) with the wraps.

• 7 months later...

Archived