Vox Tonelab owners...some questions

steve_man

• Members

I play live with one (LE). Have done for a couple of years now.

For the JC, do you run into the effects loop or the main input? I've been considering switching to the MP3 input on my Cube-30 but I haven't gotten around to trying it and tweaking everything yet.

One of the things I like about the ToneLab LE is that you can assign the expression pedal to a bunch of arbitrary stuff. I have one patch where it's actually set to control the gain on the boost pedal.

• Members

What's the point in getting an amp modeler and plugging it into an amp? It's been my experience that the Tonelab sounds best into a PA or keyboard amp that doesn't color the sound. You can get decent sounds plugged into an amp, gut if you really want to let the modeling do its job, you need to plug it into something neutral sounding.

Cuz I don't have/want a pa at my house. :poke:

Flexibility is key here. Don't want to lug an amp around if I do not have to! But if I wanna use an amp, I can...

• Members

One of the things I like about the ToneLab LE is that you can assign the expression pedal to a bunch of arbitrary stuff. I have one patch where it's actually set to control the gain on the boost pedal.

I have a Digitech RP250 hooked to my computer as my late night without headphones rig. I use the expression pedal for gain on just about every one of my presets.

• Members

Cuz I don't have/want a pa at my house. :poke:

Flexibility is key here. Don't want to lug an amp around if I do not have to! But if I wanna use an amp, I can...

I'm just saying, running into a regular amp will limit what it can do. Keep that in mind.

• Members
No it's not. You still get the power tube distortion and the frequency irregularities and limitations imposed by the speaker. The tonelab emulates all that anyway. You can still get good sounds into a regular amp, but you're limiting what you can do with it.

The point is, you can bypass the preamp which pretty much makes the amp a power tube driven PA. Basically no amp coloration from the amp.

I don't see how using the Tonelab with guitar amp is in any way limiting what you can do with it. You can do the exact same things with it whether it's going into an amp FX return or into a PA. The only thing that changes is if you need more volume, you need a mic if you're using it with an amp.

:idk:

My instinct is, if an amp was loud enough, I'd use the amp. If I needed more volume than the amp could provide, I wouldn't use the amp at all and would run right into the PA. The good thing about setting everything up to run into the FX loop is if you did need to run into a PA at some point, having your presets tweaked to run into an FX loop is a lot more similar to running into a PA than if the presets were all tweaked to run into the front end of the amp.

• Members

I'm just saying, running into a regular amp will limit what it can do. Keep that in mind.

I understand what you mean. The cab sims are a pretty nice part of the pedal, and by not using them, there is a difference there. However, the whole idea of the cab sim is to model or "color" the tone in the same way that a 2x12 or 4x12, etc. would color it. So, in that vane, running it through an amp is really not a limitation...just another option.

Archived