Volume control

Jersey Jack

• Members

There has been mention recently about using the guitar's volume control to switch back and forth between clean and distorted tones. I understand that raising the guitar volume would raise the gain and trigger ampliflier distortion, but this would also raise the overall volume. In other words, this practice would only work for soloing, right? If one wanted to move from a clean to a dirty rhythm sound, this wouldn't work, as it would make the guitar too loud.

Or am I missing something? When I set my amp for distortion, I simultaneously raise the gain and lower the volume to compensate, and controlling distortion through the guitar volume pot allows no easy way to compensate.

Also, how would I set up the amp controls if I want to use the guitar volume as a distortion control?

• Members

The overall volume does not change from using the volume pot. I (in some occasions) turn down the volume pot for cleans, turn up for rythymand if I red to solo, step on an od pedal or just turn up a little for ryhtym and more for lead, OR just keep the regular voulume for lead. Nice system, ecomes very effective in some situations.

• Members
Once the amp starts distorting it stops getting louder, or at least stops getting louder as quickly as when it's clean.

I never knew that! Really? :confused: Once distortion begins, volume increase is disabled?

How does one set up the amp controls to do this?

I'm asking these questions because I'm moving from my current set-up--which runs through a Tech21 SansAmp Blonde pedal directly into the PA--to one that uses a tube amplifier. I have a Blues Junior that I haven't used in a band setting yet because I haven't until recently played very much electric guitar.

• Members

1) Turn the amp up till you get a good distortion sound. I like to over shoot and get a little more dialed in than I'll actually use.

2) Roll back volume on guitar for clean sounds.

Takes some time to dial the amp in right and to learn how to use your guitars controls. I set my amp a little bright as well and roll back the tone too. That way I can roll in some treble if I need it when the guitars volume is rolled back.

• Members

I never knew that! Really?
:confused:
Once distortion begins, volume increase is
disabled
?

Disabled isn't the right word, but distortion is the result of the amp trying to produce a louder signal than it's capable of doing cleanly. When it gets to that point, it can't get louder, it can only distort more.

You can do a lot with picking technique too. I go from clean to full on roar, just by varying pick attack.

• Members
I never knew that! Really?
:confused:
Once distortion begins, volume increase is
disabled
?

It's the nature of overdrive. It's compressed. Compression takes the loud parts and makes them quieter, and takes the quiet parts and makes them louder. That's why sustain gets dramatically longer as you get more overdrive.

• Members

All of these comments I more or less agree with, and I have been using this technique with my Les Paul Junior (you have to!). However, Jersey Jack is right that there is actually a difference (even if a relatively minor) difference in volume when you change the volume control on the guitar. The trick is to get the amp to the right stage of breaking up, so that the difference in volume (rather than overdrive) is minimised. Most people here seem to be talking about a straight valve amp with one volume, but things are more complicated with a master volume amp.

The other point to bear in mind is that even if there is a drop in volume when you go clean, clean sounds are more likely to cut through a mix than overdriven ones... which allows for compensation.

• Members

You have to take into account pre-amp distortion as opposed to power amp distortion.

If your pre-amp is distorting you can alter your amps volume drastically.

If your power amp is distorting then you'll experience the compression that others are speaking of.

I use the volume knob on my guitar to go from clean to high gain. To compensate for the volume increase....... I have a volume pedal in my effects loop to back it off if its too loud.

Conversely, I bring it up if my cleans are too quiet.

I also use a Tubescreamer in front of the amp if I need extra gain.

I can go from clean country chicken pickin' to complete thrash and everything in between without ever having to touch my amp.

The only drawback is.... you don't get instantaneous tone changes. You have to work your guitar knobs, volume pedal, and OD pedal quickly and skillfully. :cool:

• Members

I'm like MrBrown and Dcooper. I like to be on the edge of amp gain and clean. A bit more on the gain side so rolling back to clean doesn't cause that big of a volume drop.

I prefer my guitar's volume knob close to my pinky. Strats, Tele's and Ibanez style control positions are best for this. Some people complain about hitting the volume control accidentally. That's sort of from flailing wildly with the strumming hand. I palm mute a lot and don't have this problem.

Gibson's 4 knob placement is difficult to deal with because the volume controls are too far away from my pinky. Although that doesn't stop me from owning 8 Gibsons. It's just that the Fender platoon is up to 12 soldiers.

My V & Explorer have only 3 knobs each and are easier to fiddle with than my other Gibsons. (On a dark stage with sweat burning my eyes and then blinding stage lights.) I try not to look at my guitar or study my shoes while I'm playing.

For functionality I prefer Tele knobs and Gibson speed knobs. Some times they don't look right to me. Strat and Gibson witch hats look more vintage and I leave my Strat knobs as is.

• Members
You have to take into account pre-amp distortion as opposed to power amp distortion.

If your pre-amp is distorting you can alter your amps volume drastically.

If your power amp is distorting then you'll experience the compression that others are speaking of.

I use the volume knob on my guitar to go from clean to high gain. To compensate for the volume increase....... I have a
volume pedal in my effects loop
to back it off if its too loud.

Conversely, I bring it up if my cleans are too quiet.

I also use a Tubescreamer in front of the amp if I need extra gain.

I can go from clean country chicken pickin' to complete thrash and everything in between without ever having to touch my amp.

The only drawback is.... you don't get instantaneous tone changes. You have to work your guitar knobs, volume pedal, and OD pedal quickly and skillfully.
:cool:

Which, if you have the technique down, can be amazing, and benefit much from it. It really can be a useful technique.

Archived