Road whores (Roadstar love inside)

jjpistols

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by DenverDave

OK - I have offically joined the Road Whores....just won an auction for a '82 Roadstar II. The body finish is a bit rough, but I may refinish it myself. Here are a couple of quick pics...

roadstarII.jpg

roadstarII2.jpg

She ain't the purdiest git tar I've ever seen, but a pretty good deal at $129.00.
:D

I have this exact body with a string-through gold hardtail!!! It had a surface mount, but I drilled it for through body. I think it is in the closet somewhere!:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by stanfield

i'm definately going to set mine as floating. i was under the impression that it went out of tune if it was not blocked. I'm using D'Addario XL 10-49.

Anyone else still have the stock V2 bucker installed?

No...mine came with a Tone Zone in it. :(

• Members

OK - the Roadstar (pictured four posts up) arrived this afternoon at long last. I will get more pics up later. Initial impressions??

1. The guitar has more finish issues than were pictures, but not serious stuff. Just more finish wear. I'm probably going to have to refinish it just to protect the wood...

2. The strap in the pic on the guitar is still on the guitar - because it's attached to DiMarzio strap pins that are screwed into the guitar!! You cannot use another strap and there are no strap pegs. That is not necessarily a bad thing - they just didn't say a damn thing about it in the auction!!

3. It is in bad need of a good setup. Pups set too low - string height is all over the place...

4. Sound wise - oh yeah!!:thu: this guitar has some mojo going! I like the stock pups. they are a bit weak, but after they get adjusted up that will help a little. I don't like strong pups anyway. The phase switch only works in the middle switch position (both pups on) and sounds pretty crappy at low volumes and good at higher volumes..

5. I subject the guitar to the guitar tone test - straight into a SF Fender Champ. No pedals, no reverb - just guitar and amp. sounds good...

So the Roadstar gets a big two thumbs up! :thu: :thu: The bad part is now I will want one more since they sound really good and are really cheap (this one was $150.00 after adding shipping...).

• Members
Originally posted by DenverDave

OK - the Roadstar (pictured four posts up) arrived this afternoon at long last. I will get more pics up later. Initial impressions??

1. The guitar has more finish issues than were pictures, but not serious stuff. Just more finish wear. I'm probably going to have to refinish it just to protect the wood...

2. The strap in the pic on the guitar is still on the guitar - because it's attached to DiMarzio strap pins that are screwed into the guitar!! You cannot use another strap and there are no strap pegs. That is not necessarily a bad thing - they just didn't say a damn thing about it in the auction!!

3. It is in bad need of a good setup. Pups set too low - string height is all over the place...

4. Sound wise - oh yeah!!
:thu:
this guitar has some mojo going! I like the stock pups. they are a bit weak, but after they get adjusted up that will help a little. I don't like strong pups anyway. The phase switch only works in the middle switch position (both pups on) and sounds pretty crappy at low volumes and good at higher volumes..

5. I subject the guitar to the guitar tone test - straight into a SF Fender Champ. No pedals, no reverb - just guitar and amp. sounds good...

So the Roadstar gets a big two thumbs up!
:thu:
:thu: The bad part is now I will want one more since they sound really good and are really cheap (this one was $150.00 after adding shipping...).

welcome, whore :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I only post this because so many people like Mazi's 315 (the blue one)
Here's one on ebay with a BIN of $250 and it looks like it has an upgraded bridge. Either a 'Hardrocker Pro' or a 'Pro Rocker'. The stock being a 'Hardrocker'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1983-IBANEZ-ROADSTAR-RS315-GREAT-BLUEBURST-FINISH_W0QQitemZ7417443334QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

turns out there are two (this one is nicer)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Roadstar-II-Series-1980s-Vintage_W0QQitemZ7418501100QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Not really sure if I belong, but my number one guitar from the time I was playing 6 months to around the 2.5 year mark was an Ibanez RG100, but interestingly enough, it says "Roadstar series" on the headstock.

It's some weird transition model that apparently was worth forgetting becuase you never see ANYTHING mentioned about RG100's, not from 1987 anyway.

I know it's not as nice as most of hte ones in this thread, but I love the neck, I've played the hell out of it since I got it for $150 (I think I overpaid, I thought I did then, but I loved that guitar so much, it was worth it).

Picts? I dont have many good ones.

Rig2.jpg

rgsallthree2small.jpg

wornfinishRG100neck2.jpg
Told ya I played the hell out of it. ;)

RG100f.jpg

This is a clip I did with it ages ago...

• Members
Originally posted by Mazi Bee
1983 Ibanez Roadstar II RS315 Marine Burst - the Maxon made V2 pickup on this guitar is amazing. I already bought another to stick in another guitar.
Ibanez_Roadstar_II_RS315MS_1.jpg

1986 RG450 Roadstar II Deluxe - first year the Ibanez Edge trem was introduced.
Ibanez_RoadstarII_RG450BK.jpg

These are raelly great looking guitars,and the bridges look VERY solid. How do they feel?

• Members

Originally posted by SentimentalMood

Yep. Looks like you've got one of the first pointy headstock Roadstars there. Looks cool with the rounded body edges and forearm contour. The bridge looks a little cheap though.

I agree, I think it looks cool with the rounded body edges...

But yeah, it's a cheap piece of {censored} "PowerRocker" bridge. It's just tightened down to the body. It's just a low-end Korean thing. I find it more interesting for being a transitional model than anything else.

• Members

Ive bid on 4 Roadstars on ebay and each one went for close to 4bills incl shipping:mad: you guys must have the other ebay or something.But Im kinda Picky
Interesting story: Several years ago I had 4 Gibsons stolen along with a Music Man head right after Christmas and my sons birthday, and basically had no money.I went to many different music stores looking for a quality budget guitar and found nothing,was very depressed:mad: Then I happened into a Mom and Pop store telling the clerk my story and what I was looking for.He goes into the back room and brings out a very recent trade in that he said he hadnt gotten around to check out.Its this candy apple red Roadstar 440 ,1985 in excelent condition.He lets me plug it in to a Rivera Knucklehead and Im like WHOA!So I say how much? he says $299 firm and knows he will sell it in less than a week.I said hmm ya ok He says Roadys go very quick and if it doesnt go in a week I can have it for $250.I left the store and got one block from home turned around went back and pulled out my check book:Ive never been dissapointed.
1 and a half years later I got a call from the Portland police--They retrived 2 of my Gibsons, a 69 SG and a 76 LP Standard.Woohoo I was a happy man! Brought the Gibbys home/played them and realised that I was no longer a double humbucker kinda guy. for 2 years they were stored under the bed and I had bought a Yamaha(SHB400) as a backup to the Ibanez.Sold them to a vintage dealer(for a very good price) and have never looked back.one interesting note is that my 440 has a neck that is almost exactly like my SGs neck.Ive had the Ibanez for 15 yrs:cool:

• Members

now with a NOS Hardrocker

335hardrocker7du.gif

That RG100, I was looking into it a bit, some dude on some random forum said it was Korean made and plywood. Any truth to that? I agree with Sent, it's got a nice look to it.

Dimmy: how are the pups in the 440?
If I ever get another Roadstar I think I'm going to try to find an all-black 135 or 140. Go for the Gilmour look.

• Members

That RG100, I was looking into it a bit, some dude on some random forum said it was Korean made and plywood. Any truth to that? I agree with Sent, it's got a nice look to it.

It's Koeran, low-end, it wouldnt surprise me if itwas plywood but I think it's basswood. I dont know how many pieces of basswood, though. ;)

Sounds really muddy, that's why it's got an EMG 81 in it, helps a lot.

Doesnt sound nearly as good as it feels. Just a beater. O well. :)

• Members

ever though about snagging a used early RG body from eBay? keep everything else and just upgrade to a nicer wood? could make for a killer guitar for pretty cheap. especialy since you already have the EMGs

Aren't all RG's 24 fret?

I'd probably have to get an S body... but it's a good idea...

• Members

ah yes, i believe you are right, i forgot all about that. I wonder if it would still fit? anyways, it's something to look into when you're bored eh? a saber body would be cool too, but would it end up being neck heavy? i dont know much about the S series, but I think they're quite a bit thinner and lighter.

if you ever do swap bodies post about it, i'd be interested to see your results.

• Members

I figured I'd mention this.

Looking inside my RG100, it definitely appears to be a "sandwich" body. You can see a wood seam about halfway into the control cavity, I shudder to think how many pieces of wood it must be all in all... :o

:D

• 1 month later...

Archived