Road whores (Roadstar love inside)

jjpistols

• Members
Originally posted by stanfield

The Roadstar eventually grew into the RG series we all know today.

You won't get people drooling over your brand new used 80's Roadstar with worn out frets.

...Hmm.Eventually became the RG series huh.Didnt know that.Cool, Learn something new everyday.That "Roadstar won't get people drooling" line had me crackin' up.Thanx for the answers and comments guy's.Love comin' here to get whatever answers I'm lookin for or just to learn sumthin new.......Gonna look into one of those nice maple top Roadstar's.They've had me droolin'....

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sitamoia50: Keep an eye out for Roadstars on eBay. A guy on the IbanezCollectorsWorld forum just picked up this New Old Stock RS1300TR. It's pretty.

And yeah, supposedly RG just means 'Roadstar Guitar' - but I don't know how true that is, could be a rumour. But, as far as I know the Ibanez strat-style timeline went 70's Strat copies(lawsuit), blazer, roadster(?), roadstar II, RG.

16435.jpg

Here is a link to IbanezRegister's gallery, it has pictures and specs of most of the Roadstar lineup

• Members
Originally posted by jjpistols

people here give way too much credit to their gear

+1000 :thu:

Great thought JJ. Having good gear helps, but a great player playing through decent gear will make it sound great. A crappy player with a $4000.00 guitar and a $4000.00 amp will sound crappy. And I would like to prove that theory - so if someone will ship me a $4000.00 PRS guitar and a $4000.00 Matchless amp I will post the sound clips....:D

• Members

OK - I have offically joined the Road Whores....just won an auction for a '82 Roadstar II. The body finish is a bit rough, but I may refinish it myself. Here are a couple of quick pics...

roadstarII.jpg

roadstarII2.jpg

She ain't the purdiest git tar I've ever seen, but a pretty good deal at $129.00. :D

• Members

is it a RS or a Blazer? cool guitar - usually the RSs I see are bright colored or flamey - is that one ash?
:thu:

It's a Roadstar. I'm pretty sure '81 was the last year of the Blazers. Not sure what the wood is, but it looks nice. :thu:

• Members

is it a RS or a Blazer? cool guitar - usually the RSs I see are bright colored or flamey - is that one ash?
:thu:

Definitely a Roadstar...I don't have the guitar yet, but it does look like an Ash body. I may just strip it down and refinish it with a clear coat of some sort. The wood does look pretty nice...

Also - it's an '84 not an '82..

• Members
Originally posted by DenverDave

Definitely a Roadstar...I don't have the guitar yet, but it does look like an Ash body. I may just strip it down and refinish it with a clear coat of some sort. The wood does look pretty nice...

Also - it's an '84 not an '82..

Not according to the serial number...or the number of frets.

DSCN2703.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by SentimentalMood

Not according to the serial number...or the number of frets.

Argghh...your right. I didn't even notice that - I just misread the ebay ad copy. It says 1982 - doh! :o

I rarely play above the 17th fret anyway, so the number of frets do not mean anything to me. Thanks for pointing that out. And Mazi found some copy on the exact model (RS125)....

• Members

sitamoia50: they are not popular among the masses. Simple as that. Since there is not a huge demand for them people can't charge an arm and a leg.

One drawback is the bridges used. The Roadstar was born from the Blazer series some time in 82 if I am correct. For the first few years they used simple, more traditional fender-esk bridges. Ibanez then began to develope tremolo systems. Powerrocker, Hardrocker, Hardrocker Pro, Prorocker and finally the Edge 1 2 and 3. The later Edge systems are suppose to be good, but the earlier non-locking tremolos are not so great. Most people just end up locking them down with 5 springs and a possible block of wood and just use it as a hardtail. I have no experience with the locking systems that were used from '85 and on, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The Roadstar eventually grew into the RG series we all know today.

People that check out strat-style guitars are looking for the fender tone, roadstars do not have this as they are made of basswood (excluding the '83 RS100 made of ash = fender). Cosmeticly they don't have a knockoff fender headstock, but they do have beautiful necks. I like the headstock.

No one famous uses them as a main axe. They're old and not hip or trendy. You won't get people drooling over your brand new used 80's Roadstar with worn out frets. But everything I've read and heard from people about Roadstars has all been positive.

Anyways, I hope that gives you an idea why I THINK they arn't popular. They are certainly
not
a bad guitar.

I don't think the old bridges are a drawback at all. As a matter of fact I think they have great tone and sustain. they also stay in tune great.

No one famous uses them today, becuase they haven't been made in 20 years. Back in their heyday, many big artists used Roadstars, including Steve Lukuther, Stanley Jordan, Vinnie Moore, Gary Moore, Mike Rutheford and some dude named Allan Holdsworth, not to mention the many nameless studio pros and backup musicians.

The only reason they are so cheap is because they were affordable to begin with when they were new, and they mass produced the {censored} out of them. There is no shortage, and they are not rare, so they sell for cheap.

However, there are some highly sought after models, like the Lukather and the Jordan, and other high end models, that get pretty good prices.

Also, they are popular among the masses, because every one and their brother seems to have one! :D

Also, as far as basswood not being able to sound like a strat, that's not entirely accurate. A nice set of single coil pickups in any of those old basswood bodies will give you a great strat sound. There's more to tone than just the wood, and basswood is not so sonically different from alder that it's going to make single coils not sound strattish.

• Members

sitamoia50: Keep an eye out for Roadstars on eBay. A guy on the IbanezCollectorsWorld forum just picked up this New Old Stock RS1300TR. It's pretty.

And yeah, supposedly RG just means 'Roadstar Guitar' - but I don't know how true that is, could be a rumour. But, as far as I know the Ibanez strat-style timeline went 70's Strat copies(lawsuit), blazer, roadster(?), roadstar II, RG.

16435.jpg

Here is a link to IbanezRegister's gallery
, it has pictures and specs of most of the Roadstar lineup

I have also heard that RG is Roadstar Guitar. As a matter of fact in 1986 is when the RG series first debuted, and they were Roadstars, even up thru 87 and the new pointy headstock.

Those two links you listed are great resources, as well as all the old catalogs on ibanezrules.com

• Members

I hear ya Mazi.
I guess I should have assumed that the price would reflect the fact of super-mega japanese mass production.

I didn't know there was more signature models, I was only aware of the Luke. I'm going to have to check this out. I'm glad to hear that they were popular guitars in their day, I certainly enjoy mine. Just put on the stock Hardrocker too (sweet).

Do you have your bridge floating or blocked?? I was fiddling with mine for hours. I decided to slap on all five springs, block the spring side of the cavity and take the high string tension. It's a bitch for bends though, since I have the world's most {censored} fingers. But the strings do resonate very nicely because of it.
I'm interested to see how you guys have your roadstars set up.

• Members

I hear ya Mazi.

I guess I should have assumed that the price would reflect the fact of super-mega japanese mass production.

I didn't know there was more signature models, I was only aware of the Luke. I'm going to have to check this out. I'm glad to hear that they were popular guitars in their day, I certainly enjoy mine. Just put on the stock Hardrocker too (sweet).

Do you have your bridge floating or blocked?? I was fiddling with mine for hours. I decided to slap on all five springs, block the spring side of the cavity and take the high string tension. It's a bitch for bends though, since I have the world's most {censored} fingers. But the strings do resonate very nicely because of it.

I'm interested to see how you guys have your roadstars set up.

I have the bridges floating on all 3 of my roadstars. :thu:

As a matter of fact, the ivory RS410 I have is one of the most resonant guitars I have. It sounds almost like an acoustic when unplugged.

• Members

what do you think the militia is for? every 3 or 4 weeks one of the new guys is flown in to take over the polishing duties of the collection - the guy who was polishing then moves up to restringer

the restringer is now an officer

• Members

what do you think the militia is for? every 3 or 4 weeks one of the new guys is flown in to take over the polishing duties of the collection - the guy who was polishing then moves up to restringer

One officer was bumped back down to polish bottle shaker, cuz he put a nick in a finish! :mad:

• Members

So what rank am i now in the militia?:confused:

Archived