Greg Bennett guitars

talldaff

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm one of those idiots that sold their guitars through the years while busy pursuing a career, now years later I'm trying to find something affordable to enjoy playing again. I am a jazz player and had an L5 and a 1959 ES 330 among other quality instruments. My family bought me an Ibanez Artcore a couple of years ago to encourage me to start playing again which I have.

It's an AF86VLS and it's okay but not a very good guitar as it rattles and buzzes and the short scale bugs me and the intonation isn't very good even after being set up by the pros in Nashville. I've been doing a lot of research and wondered if anyone had an opinion on the Greg Bennett JZ2 or the JZ 203? Both are for sale locally and I've yet to play them but they're supposed to be a "mid" level archtop. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

Alright enough rambling on, some input please!

• Members

I had a Greg Bennett Royale RL1 (semi hollow) that I picked up used a few years back, it was a good guitar. It was the cheapest of the Royale line, bolt on neck instead of set, and I'm sure the pickups weren't as nice as some of the more expensive models but it was only $175 and for the price it felt like a steal. The fretwork was great and it had tone for days. Unfortunately like a dumbass I left it propped up in a corner while some drunken friends were over and it ended up taking a spill and the neck screws stripped. I did a mcguyver repair on it w/ wood glue and toothpicks and it held up for a while but eventually the neck popped off again and this time cracked the heel. I took it apart intending to fix it, but it was in my old bedroom @ my parents house in the closet, they moved a few years back and I guess it got lost in the shuffle. Kind of sucks cause I would have at least liked to rip the electronics out of it.

Archived