Fender Vintage style tuners: Big string problem

The Idiot

• Members

My fender has the vintage tuners where the string goes in by the top, not the side. My big string is a 56 but it does not fit properly on the first tuning machine head because it's too thick. What's a trick to get around this? I managed to wrap it around but it took a lot of work to say the least. Please don't say smaller strings.

guitar-gotoh-locking-tuner-fender-05.jpg

• Members

Either upgrade the tuners, or get another guitar specifically for that guage string.

Personally, if I had a Fender Strat with vintage tuners - maybe a '57 RI or something like that - I wouldn't have the heart to fit high gauge strings on it. It just would not suit.

• Members

The tuners you are refering too,if either CIJ (but not MIJ) or AVRI, are Gotoh. I've used 12-56's in them and they fit fine,the 56 was snug but it fit. I've also used 56 in actual vintage 1966 F tuners too,fit fine too.

Anyways,if it wont fit just wrap it around and wedge it under one of the windings(preferably the first) to prevent it slipping.

There'a absolutely ZERO resaon to change guages or tuners!!!

• Members

what about the non-SafeTy post tuners? Those are the real vintage style. Dick Dale uses like 15s and doesn't seem to have a problem. Ive heard people having problems with the saftey posts and string guage.

I don't why poeple think vintage Fender=light ...guage Don't have the heart? They were made for heavy strings.

• Members

I do the same thing for my Jag with the vintage "F" tuners (11-58s). Clip the string leaving about an inch of plain string,just enough for the plain part to stick in the hole, then wrap the entire wound part of the string around the post. Youll have a big mass of string all wrapped around the post, and it takes work, but thats the price you pay for tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRzaCS2w1rc

• Members

I used to use 9-42 15 years ago, then I went up to 10-46 which I liked then I went to 10-52 then 12-56 now because I use alternate tunings I have to make my own sets up from a couple packs of strings. I have either 52 or 56's on the top and 13 or 17's on the bottom now. Using anything on the bottom under 13 is like a thin piece of cotton that i can hardly feel.:lol:

Of course I NEVER play in EADGBE or its lowered equivilent.

• Members

you're right, I do have zero knowledge about jazzmasters etc... which is why I asked who put them on Fenders. and now I know... thanks
:wave:

haha...Its a fair question. Basically everyone who ever owned any guitar until the 60s. Thats why I find it odd people think Fenders are made to have light strings. Quite the opposite.

• Members
Agreed. Strat trems work much better with heavier strings IMO.

I don't get this. My experience was that with heavier strings (especially if you set the bridge flat to the body), the tremolo tension becomes uncomfortably high very quickly. Maybe I just prefer a looser trem feel?

• Members

I don't get this. My experience was that with heavier strings (
especially
if you set the bridge flat to the body), the tremolo tension becomes uncomfortably high very quickly. Maybe I just prefer a looser trem feel?

With the trem floating the springs balance the tension. I personally like feeling the tension as it makes subtle trem use easier.

With heavy strings, if you have the springs cranked down to hold the plate flat it would take a lot of force to over come the springs and move the trem. I'd hate that too.

• Members

haha...Its a fair question. Basically everyone who ever owned any guitar until the 60s. Thats why I find it odd people think Fenders are made to have light strings. Quite the opposite.

its probably because a lot of fenders come from the factory with 9s on em... thats why I always thought they were build for lighter strings :idk:

• Members

Corona ships jaguars and jazzmasters with 10-46's on them,this is ok for these guitars and J Mascis uses this guage but I like a bit thicker personally.

Fenders,and especially 24 scale fenders sound great with 10-52/12-56 + strings.

All you do is wrap the 56/60 whatever, noneed for new tuners. Lee Ranaldo manages fine with 58/60 on the top with vintage and vintage RI tuners.

Archived