Willyguitar

• Members

All the threads I see from the UK about importing a guitar make me wonder why is it so god damn expensive to buy or ship a guitar into the UK? Is it that way with all products? Guitars seems particularly expensive - like twice what we pay in the US.

Could it be import duties and shipping costs? Even our own guitar brands though are quite expensive though. Also, the pound is relatively weak at the moment, which has pushed things up for us relatively when it comes to US etc guitars. Hence all the sudden interest from the Euro zone in Europe if you are selling a guitar in the UK on ebay!

• Members

not worth buying guitar gear in the UK, it's a complete ripoff. Get a cheap plane ticket to the US and have a long weekend and get a guitar there

Unfortunately, air travel is not very cheap these days either... however, I should be doing a conference in the US soon, so maybe I could combine that with a guitar trip. :idea:

• Members

Gotta haggle - he's asking more than its really worth IMO, they cost less than a Standard so try n get that price down a bit...he must only be playing on the fact that its discontinued. If he gets no takers and wants to sell it he will budge on price.

• Members

not worth buying guitar gear in the UK, it's a complete ripoff. Get a cheap plane ticket to the US and have a long weekend and get a guitar there

Doable, though a lot depends on practicalities. Most airlines charge extra for an extra bag now IME, even if you're still within the weight allowance. Could be as cheap shipping it. You run the risk then (labelling as 'gift' or 'commercial sample' is common for this reason) of it being opened by customs and 25% odds added for Tax and VAT. Theoretically you're also supposed to declare this when arriving at customs in the UK, for anything over the value of GBP149 or so (though I did hear the EU was poised to change this to the equivalent of a grand at one point, not sure if that ever went through). They don't search folks as standard, and I've known people get through without declaring. If they do catch you, though, they are known to get very pissy. They will also confiscate the guitar until all customs charges are paid. I also gather that the old trick of getting the shop to provide a receipt for much less than the guitar's real value (I remember hearing shops in the US would often offer to do this for UK buyers) doesn't work - they know what stuff is worth. If you were gonig to risk it, best to avoid trying to bring it back this side of Christmas - I know at Heathrow at least last year they were very strict at searching folks coming back from the US as they knew folks were going to NYC shopping for Christmas rather than pay the prices in Rip Off Britain. Big crackdown, there was, hitting everyone with the customs charges. Into Spring, they're less likely to be hardcore, I'd have thought.

Archived