How serious is a hairline crack by headstock?

iloveespguitars

• Members

Its probably a crack in the finish. Not the wood.

This is a clearer picture I took just now. Even if this is crack in the finish, isn't it very dangerous at that point in the neck since it connects the headstock and the fingerboard?

asdf.jpg

Is crack in the finish a big problem? I'm really planning to keep this guitar, and I'm worried sick, i love my guitars :cry:

• Members

Are the sides of the crack level or is one slightly higher than the other? If they're level then it's probably just a finish crack. If one is slightly higher than the other (as it was on a mahogany guitar I looked at recently) then there's likely the wood is cracked and there may be problems.

• Members

Are the sides of the crack level or is one slightly higher than the other? If they're level then it's probably just a finish crack. If one is slightly higher than the other (as it was on a mahogany guitar I looked at recently) then there's likely the wood is cracked and there may be problems.

Can you specify on crack level? What do you mean? Like even pick scratches have minor bumps, how severe is it until it is classify as a finish crack?

I'm really hoping it is a finish crack now cause I love the viper!

• Members

I doubt it will be of any harm. If you're nervous about it see if the guy will refund your money. The general expectation of Craigslist is you are buying as is, especially if you had a chance to look at it before forking over the money. If the crack starts getting bigger or you start noticing some playability problems take it to a guitar tech.

Archived