Alder, Ash, or Basswood?

guitardavex

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have found that the swimming pool route that Fender used during the 90s is the largest factor in tone suckage for those guitars.

BS. I had a 96 american standard that was one of the best sounding and most resonant strats I've ever owned and I've owned a few...I'm a fan of the swimming pool route, it acts almost like a resonance chamber.

• Members

FWIW, Jeff Beck's #1 Strat is basswood (at 3:05)

I've got to admit that is an interesting little factoid. In my first comment I really wasn't even giving basswood much consideration and was thinking more "alder vs ash". I guess I can see where basswood would be an interesting departure. My new Duo Sonic (not to compare with Jeff's or anybody's strat) has a bit of a hollow tone in it compared to alder or ash. My first experience with basswood is my Ibanez JS100 and we've never been able to bond despite the p'up upgrade I gave it. But that could be from the "licensed Floyd".

• Members

Used to have an ash bodied strat and compared to my alder bodied one the midrange is noticeably different - more pronounced on the alder guitar. An ash tele by comparison has a different tonality to an ash strat in my experience.

It really comes down to preferences. I prefer alder on a strat, ash on a tele.

• Members

I like ash. It has a better attack and note definition, it sounds more lively to me. AWESOME OD/distortion tones too. It cuts. Ash FTW! But alder is also nice. Not a fan of basswood.

...I concur, based on my (stock) ash body 2000 AM Fender Strat Dlxe.

• Members

I wouldn't consider what Jeff Beck's Strat had more than I would what type quiver Shakespear wrote with.

He was just making a point to those who poopoo basswood because it is cheap and readily available.

Many boutique strat-like guitars are made with basswood. Having said that, based on the original post I recommend alder.

• Members

There are 30 species of tree called Alder, at least 250 species called Ash and 30 called Basswood.

Each individual tree is then different depending on where and when it grew.

Each individual piece of wood from the tree is then different depending on how it was cut and treated.

• Members

There are 30 species of tree called Alder, at least 250 species called Ash and 30 called Basswood.

Each individual tree is then different depending on where and when it grew.

Each individual piece of wood from the tree is then different depending on how it was cut and treated.

^^^

Surprised it took 2 pages for someone to mention this.

• Members
BS. I had a 96 american standard that was one of the best sounding and most resonant strats I've ever owned and I've owned a few...I'm a fan of the swimming pool route, it acts almost like a resonance chamber.

agree. 1996 Lonestar Strat here.. tonez for milez. Just picked up a 94 mexi "squier series" with HSS route, and it has a similar resonance. If there's one thing that will ruin any guitar, it's green wood. Unless it's dried properly, and the quality is decent, the species is secondary IMO. I like em all, even basswood.

• Members

ash has a very scooped sound that "technically" will give you the most traditional strat sounds especially in the 2&4 positions.

ash also tends to stand out in a bedroom situation when played clean, being that our ears tend to favor a scooped sound when played alone, but this quickly turns bad live when your guitar gets buried in the mix unless your running a mid-heavy overdrive like a tube-screamer.

secondly many will note that ash "farts out" with high volumes/overdrive sounds which isent always the case but can be.

alder is more of a "taste like chicken" sound that has a very even eq and sits very well in a mix, hence its seeming dominance with known players and session musicians alike.

but, ash to me gives the most traditional sounds and can do amazing things in a studio setting, so it most definitely has its place

it all comes down to your goals and the sound thats in your head.

• Members

Used to have an ash bodied strat and compared to my alder bodied one the midrange is noticeably different - more pronounced on the alder guitar. An ash tele by comparison has a different tonality to an ash strat in my experience.

It really comes down to preferences. I prefer alder on a strat, ash on a tele.

:thu: That is how I hear it also.

• Members

That Ash doesn't have a sound. Nor Alder. Nor Basswood. Nor any other "tone wood".

As I have just finished playing my Ministar Lestar, with no body wood whatsoever, I find this argument pretty convincing. On an acoustic guitar, it matters. On an electric, the pickups and amp are the sound. The size, material, and thickness of the pick, even the angle it is held at, or whether you use fingers, makes a much bigger difference than body wood.

Archived