Alder, Ash, or Basswood?

guitardavex

• Members

As a full believer in the "wood makes the tone", I own an American Strat from the 90's that just sounds tone dead to me. I've replaced everything (neck, pickups, etc) but the actual body. (not sure what it's made of)

I'm thinking of moving all the parts onto a new body, as everything else is currently high-end and should sound just fine.

Any recommendations, things to look out for, recorded sound clips between Alder, Ash, and Basswood?

I'm looking for a "traditional" strat sound, so I'm thinking Alder might be the way to go...

any help would be great!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A traditional strat sound could be alder or ash though.

I have one of each and I would say the differences are a more warm tone with alder and a more bright snappy tone with ash. Of course there are a few other factors in my guitars as well but that's the difference I hear even when I play them unplugged.

• Members

Ash is definitely brighter. Before I replaced the pickups in my ash Strat I had Tex Mex in them and it was waaay to bright.

I know you have said you replaced everything, but have you done anything to the bridge, saddles, and trem block?

• Members

As a full believer in the "wood makes the tone", I own an American Strat from the 90's that just sounds tone dead to me. I've replaced everything (neck, pickups, etc) but the actual body. (not sure what it's made of)

I'm thinking of moving all the parts onto a new body, as everything else is currently high-end and should sound just fine.

Any recommendations, things to look out for, recorded sound clips between Alder, Ash, and Basswood?

I'm looking for a "traditional" strat sound, so I'm thinking Alder might be the way to go...

any help would be great!!!

Funny, I have a '91 or so American Standard, and I've come to the same conclusion about the body. Most likely it's alder, but this guitar just doesn't have good tonal characteristics on it's own. I like the way it plays, it feels comfortable, it looked beautiful when I bought it (a good amount of finish is worn off now) but almost every other guitar I play just seems to get more out of similar pickups and amps.

• Members

I agree with the Alder/Ash comments, but the difference between Alder and Basswood is (imo) very little. Basswood might be a touch darker, but it's probably inaudible in 95% of Strat bodies out there.

I had a '90 American Standard Strat. Actually, that was the guitar I learned to play on and was a solid work-horse until my dumb ass smashed it up. I've bought and sold several Strats - MIJ, AVRI, CS, blah blah and the only one I really bonded with (and miss) is the American Standard. Maybe it's just nostalgia? Who knows? Either way, I'm done with Strats.

I'd look at the complete package like the swimming pool route, trem system, electronics, PICKUPS, tremsetter, etc. before you make a judgement about the tone wood.

• Members

I agree with the Alder/Ash comments, but the difference between Alder and Basswood is (imo) very little. Basswood might be a touch darker, but it's probably inaudible in 95% of Strat bodies out there.

I had a '90 American Standard Strat. Actually, that was the guitar I learned to play on and was a solid work-horse until my dumb ass smashed it up. I've bought and sold several Strats - MIJ, AVRI, CS, blah blah and the only one I really bonded with (and miss) is the American Standard. Maybe it's just nostalgia? Who knows? Either way, I'm done with Strats.

I'd look at the complete package like the swimming pool route, trem system, electronics, PICKUPS, tremsetter, etc. before you make a judgement about the tone wood.

I had an American ash strat with a maple fret board. It was a beautiful natural finish guitar trimmed in black yet too bright for my liking, playing through a Deluxe Reverb. (a very clean bright amp) Unless I was only playing county twang or '60s serf this ash guitar just lacked the full tone I needed. I learned that you just cannot EQ tone that is not there. The guitar lacked mid tone. You can beef up the mids but not the tone that a different wood would give. I traded it in on a 2007 strat with rosewood fret board and alder body. The mids were much better and it was warmer and less harsh. It still has great highs and deep lows. The overall balance is much better. I love the thicker tone, yet still clear and sweet.

• Members

Basswood is much lighter, though. My first guitar was an Ibanez RG140 superstrat made from basswood. It was light and sounded very warm.

Maybe it's the swimming pool route on these 90's strats, or the trem blocks..or the bridges..I don't know, but it just isn't there.

I did an experiment where I blocked the trem with metal coins. The body vibrates like mad now, way more than before, but the tone is so dark now that it doesn't cut at all. It's crazy what a difference it made. The guitar went from crazy bright shrill to dark with one mod. Maybe if I block with wood it will split the difference. The point is..I probably should just give up on the guitar if I have to screw around this much with it to get it to sound good.

• Members

I don't like basswood at all. I've tried to, but just don't. I like Alder and Mahogany. I have also had guitars that sounded tone dead.

for a Strat it's Ash and Alder

For Les Paul it's Mahogany and maybe with a Maple cap

for shred/Floyd equipped guitar there is nothing better than Basswood

All of these tone woods are great - they just are what they are

Archived