Blues Guitar for Dummies

Loudog99

• Members

Hey Folks,

One of the books I regularly work with is "Blues Guitar for Dummies"- comes with a great CD w/ 90 tracks. Anyway, it's a great book and I knew I recognized the author's name but couldn't figure out from where.

It's Jon Chapell- Harmony Central moderator. Jon- love the book.

Anyone else have this book and use it?

Lou

• Members

Hey Folks,

One of the books I regularly work with is "Blues Guitar for Dummies"- comes with a great CD w/ 90 tracks. Anyway, it's a great book and I knew I recognized the author's name but couldn't figure out from where.

Lou

I'll have to get that one. All the ....For Dummies books are helpful. I learned how to build webpages back in the day from Dummies.

• Members

Hey Folks,

Lou

I'm gonna check it out!

• Members

I hear you about the "dummies" moniker- definitely applicable to me at times.

The book is pretty basic- which is perfect for me since I just started trying to learn basic theory this year- even though I have played by ear in one form or another on/ off for about 20 years. Some of the material it covers: the pentatonic scale in all positions, 8 bar, 12 bar, blues shuffles, I-IV-V progressions, relative major/ minor, has a nice tear out chord diagram with the most prevalent chords used in blues, movable chords, and my favorite part, examples in the styles of blues greats.

That last section is the one that I am going to spend this coming winter trying to master. There are about 25 tracks that cover many blues artists like Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Slide ala Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, etc. I figure if I learn to play all of those tracks- it will give me a good "physical vocabulary" in many different styles that I can apply to my playing. I am a big believer in "physical/muscle memory" playing a huge part in trying to master certain activities. Guitar being one of them.

Lou

Archived