New pickups, would a couple loose winds be a problem?

Finnius

• Members

Hey all,

I just picked up a single coil set for my first strat mod, and noticed something when I was getting ready to install them.

On the neck pickup, towards the top, there are about 5-10 winds of wire that aren't along the main body with the rest of the wire. Instead they are out along the edge/top of the main body of the pickup. To describe it another way, the rest of the winds are tight in the vertical center of a capital "I", these stray winds are out along the side of the top horizontal line.

They seem secure, the wax is holding them in place. But I'm concerned that maybe I shouldn't install these in their current state. Is this something I should be worried about, or will it be no big deal once I've got them mounted and under pickup covers?

Thanks for any help you can give,

• Members

Uhhh... without seeing pics, it's hard to say. The wire has to be continuous... If there are any breaks, the pickup won't work. I've seen pickups where all the wires were very parallel, but 1 - 5 or so were diagonal, but if they are close to perpendicular, and esp if you can see any breaks, it's probably not going to work. Wire it out and before stringing it up, hook it to an amp, put the selector in the appropriate position and tap on the pickup with a screwdriver. If you don't get any sound, it ain't gonna work.

:cry:

Archived