Dean Soltero Standard Review

ejectarock

• Members

I absolutely LOVE:love: mine. The quality may be lacking a little (the ONY thing wrong with mine is a spot of black paint under the clear coat on the maple binding, but I got an extra $30 knocked of it because of that), but the playability is GREAT, and I really like the split hb's.

I don't think there's a nicer looking LP on the market, I love the v-neck.

I highly recommend this guitar!

• Members

I still haven't got an answer to how people like the body edge. From pics it seems like there's a small dip where the contouring of the top ends and I had that on a Kramer superstrat and thought the edge felt pretty sharp because of that. How is it on the Soltero?

Oh and we demand big pics.

• Members

I still haven't got an answer to how people like the body edge. From pics it seems like there's a small dip where the contouring of the top ends and I had that on a Kramer superstrat and thought the edge felt pretty sharp because of that. How is it on the Soltero?

It does have an edge that protrudes a little, but it is just where they carve the body in a little. It doesn't bother you any more than any other guitar without a contoured edge, and even then it only depends on how you're holding it. I play it on the couch a good bit, and it dug in a little at first, but after playing it about 2-3 times, I don't even notice it anymore. If you're used to a contoured edge like on some Ibanez guitars, it may bother you a little, but I don't find it to be a big deal.

A pic of the edge, showing the paint spot, but it gives you an idea of that "lip" that is really just the edge where the body is carved.

3744349117_ddd26f3e90_b.jpg

3745102426_b6abd63dda_b.jpg

• Members

from my understanding, if you can live with the standard PRS body, then you can live with a soltero. you could always change your position. as in, if your strats are played in a casual position, then try playing your singlecuts in a classical position. that way your arm wont get any sharp edges touching it.

and pictures is a must! :poke:

• Members

there may also be two different types of solteros. one, the ones with a sharper edge, and the others, without the sharp edge.

heres one with a sharp edge:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEAN-Soltero-Leslie-West-Standard-Classic-White-NEW_W0QQitemZ160355703807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2555f1dbff&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and heres one without..or relatively without. it may just be the camera and light angle

solt_tab_7.jpg

• Members

and just another note about quality... I haven't seen another Soltero with any problems at all, it just so happened when I ordered mine, it was bought sight unseen. I called them up and requested a discount, and was promptly given one. The frets were finished better than any frets I've ever seen on any guitar at any price point.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

real maple top or a venner??? (I guess in through colours...). Any neck pickup cavity gutshots?

on the standard (korean) solteros, it is a THICK plain maple top.

then on the transparent finishes like the honey burst, that has a

thin veneer on it. or even the tabacco burst has a thin veneer on it.

the japanese and theUSA solteros have a real thick quilted or flamed maple top

without any veneers on em.

the DBZ boleros have two lines, one all mahogany body that are very thin.

think of the ESP.LTD EC lines thickness. then their other line have plain

maple top without any veneers. so you just get a natural looking guitar. :)

• Members

I've never looked closely at these before, or maybe just the wrong pics, but these look sweet! What's the weight like on them, and the neck profiles?

weight varies from 8lbs to 11 lbs.

the neck is a soft V neck that isn't thick

nor thin. definatly towards the thicker side, but not chunky like a baseball bat at all!

dean fans swear by the V neck profile of deans

• Members

I love 70's heavy Gibson Les Pauls so I thought I would like a Soltero with the solid mahagony body. I've got a Dean Select Hardtail and love it so I guess I'll have to save up for a Dean Soltero Japan or USA made. I will just have to get use to the V shaped neck.

the soltero SL, which are made in japan

are far from the standard(korean) and the

usa solteros. for one, they have a different

bridge that is exactly what you find on

traditional les pauls. so in other words a

TOM bridge. then the neck is a C shaped neck,

again, closer to les paul. the soltero SL

is actually a les paul with a cut away on the body.

Archived