You know you are getting old when...

Alex W

• Members

You're kidding..Right?

This must make me ancient.

me too!

I posted something like this on facebook recently:

Each generation has their music that annoys their parents. I annoyed my parents with KISS & Ted Nugent. The kids these days annoy me with heavy metal music with cookie monster vocals. I live metal, but put a front man out there who can actually sing versus grunting like the cookie monster!

• Members

I've been feeling exactly the same thing recently. Well it was BBC Radio 2 not a classic rock station but nonetheless a similar thing. What was quite funny was the new Foo Fighters record was on Radio 2 before Radio 1. Radio 1 is always bragging about the newest music they can play. Its all utter {censored} the majority of the time too!

• Members

I think "Classic Rock Radio" is a relative term. My Classic Rock station plays zero Smashing Pumpkins. I actually find I am listening less and less to my Classic Rock station. If I hear one more Steve Miller Band "hit" I'm going to hurl. And I like Steve Miller - just heard the same stuff to many times.

- w

• Members

I was driving home today and I turned on the local classic rock station. Songs from when I was a teenager came on back to back. Smells Like Teen Spirit and Today by Smashing Pumpkins. It's official, I'm old.
:facepalm:

Blaaahh... People feel old once they hit 22 these days. Emo's...

• Members

The term "classic rock" is an invention by radio marketers to describe the "hit" music their largest demographic... baby boomer's grew up on.

Its static nature is a calculated attempt to "give them what they want"... although they forget about "familiarity breeds contempt".

If I were designing a "classic rock" station I would actually care to listen to... it would be more along the lines of satellite radio's version where they don't overplay a small group of "hits", they find lots of "alternative" album cuts from great bands, and really "mix it up" with thousands and thousands of tracks.

As a teen, I grew up with a radio station that had one rule for the top 40 hits of the day. Do not play them. It was OK to play another track from that record, but once a track was played, it could NOT be replayed for 30 days.

As you can guess, this was a fountain of great and ever changing music, that exposed me to many new artists, and way more material of artists who's albums I didn't own.

Sadly, they didn't really make much MONEY with this format, and I learned shortly after I moved away from that area, the station was purchased by another firm and changed its format to the "classic rock" we know today.

Sad really.

Oh yeah... I'm old.

:facepalm:

M

• Members

Classic rock is not denoting a time frame of the 60'.70'80's. 90's and very soon to be first decade, the millennium. It is just to denote classic as in the type, like basic classic clothing. Of course Smashing pumpkins, Today and a song like Smells like teen spirit areclassics. Smells like teen spirit is on every best song or best guitar song list anywere.

• Members

I absolutely positively HATE the classic rock station in Philly. It's is just pitifull. They play the same 50 or so songs day in and day out. They have over 30+ years of music to choose from and play, but they don't dare play anything other than same old super pop songs.

Same deal with the Oldies station. They have no freakin' balls.

I'd say if your classic rock station actually mixes it up like that, you're lucky.

• Members

You know you are old, because you saw Duane ripping it on slide with the Allman Brothers Band at the Atlanta International Pop Festival in 1970 and you saw Led Zeppelin at the 1st Atlanta Pop Festival in 1969.

Did you see Billy Joe South warming up for the Allman Bros. at Piedmont park (I think it was '70). and then the amazing A.B. band after them?

Now that I'm ancient, I remember when I was a kid and Frank Sinatra would come on the radio in my parents car. I remember thinking "who would want to listen to horrible crap like this? Why is this on the radio?" Now I know the answer.....old geysers like me:cry:

Archived