What are Jackson necks like?

12Shred

• Members

What are Jackson necks like. The RR24 is what I am looking for and I want to know what the neck is like. No stores have any around here that I know off. Thin neck thick neck fast flat etc.

Thanks

When you get into the the thru neck guitars, you'll find the the necks are different than their bolt on guitars. They are thicker, much like a Les Paul, but they still have the compound radius's and jumbo frets. On their american guitars, and on some japanese models, they have ebony fretboards, which to my touch, feels much silkier than rosewood. All in all, they are very, very comfortable, with the speed you would expect that has made these necks famous in the 80's shred era and made Jackson a household name.

• Members

A neck through US model is all I can comment on. The neck is wide like a LP 59 but not as round. The back is somewhat more flat hence the compound label.

In all it's a very nice neck to my hands feel very meaty but also fast. I'm picky about the necks on my guitars and really think it's an amazing part of the guitar.

• Members

I love the neck on my SL2 - it's a bit thicker than my shreddiest guitar in my collection and the ebony fretboard allows for a nice percussive snap to any solo, the note-to-note definition is very bright and clear. It's just about the perfect neck in terms of balance to "too fat/too thin". It's "just right". The frets are medium jumbos so they're not gigantic but not little thin fretless wonder frets either.

• Members

so thicker than the wizzard neck I have on my RG. i like the really thin necks. Seems to help for stretches and stuff. Like in the 5th capprice. In the fingering I do it in theres a sweep that starts on the 8th fret high E string and pulls off onto the third fret of the same string.

I want a RR V shaped guitar with a fr and a wizzard thin neck. Can't find any.

• Members

If you want something closer to your Ibanez, you'd probably prefer the Jackson "speed neck" as found on the KV2. I don't know if any of the import models have the same neck profile, but it is thinner and flatter than other Jacksons.

will look into this neck profile. Any of the RR's have it?

• Members

I've got a DK2M, Japanese made. And frankly, out of the dozen or so guitars I've owned in my life, it has the fastest, nicest and most easy to play neck of them all.

Super low action and feels like glass.

The only reason I've kept the guitar all this time is for the neck and if something happened to it I'd certainly replace it.

• Members

I played a Japanese RR24 in the store - the neck was nice and smooth, but too thin for my taste (neck profile on the B.C. Rich neck-throughs is perfect for me). And compound radius is a plus, as long as you get used to it.

That Jackson also had pretty low action... I constantly hit the EMG cover with pick when playing. And overall, the guitar felt too small. But I would have bought it if it was new and a little cheaper than the store wanted.

I'll be in the same store to check out stuff in a few days, and I'll be sure to molest it some more, as long as no one has bought it yet. :thu:

• Members

I've played an RR24 a lot, my old housemate had one. It does have a skinny neck, I would in no way describe it 'Les Paul like'.

would you say it is Ibanez wizzard thin though?

I am learning shred and lead stuff. I like the really thin necks. Person pref I guess. How easy is it to get to the 24th fret?

• Members

If you're getting into shredding. Go for the flatter fret boards. Jackson makes some of the flattest I tink.

Or, a compound fret board radius. I've got a warmoth strat with the compound radius and love it.

Wizard IIs are great if you don't mind how damn skinny it is. They're flatter, much thinner and real easy to hit 24th. But, I still think jackson makes a flatter fret board. Depending on the model I guess.

• Members

would you say it is Ibanez wizzard thin though?

I am learning shred and lead stuff. I like the really thin necks. Person pref I guess. How easy is it to get to the 24th fret?

If you wait a few days, I will most likely be able to compare them side-to-side. It is pretty thin, and since I play mostly rhythm, it was too thin for me. And it's even thinner at the upper frets. It IS a shred axe... But the neck profile is too subjective thing to judge.

And since it's both neck-through and V-shaped, I can't imagine what can possibly go wrong with upper fret access. It's very light and comfortable to play... Although I haven't tried to play it sitting down.