Best sit-down guitar for comfort?

hardlock

• Members

I've got a theory. I only play seated w/o a strap and have a Gibson 335 clone, an LP clone and a couple Fender teles. All of them tend to cause my right arm to cramp up after prolonged playing. I end up wanting to move the guitar from my right leg to my left to allow the right arm to stretch out and relieve the pressure.

Maybe it's just me getting old but it seems that the angle my forearm makes with my upper arm doesn't promote comfort in the long term. I find myself gradually moving my picking position closer to the neck causing arm mutes and other bad habits.

After much study, it appears that this has been corrected in a few guitar models like the Firebird and Jaguar styles.

Here's a real ergonomically correct model - the Lace Helix:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM99/AGI-Lace/Helix.html

Even it doesn't mention that the lower waist cut-out is more rearward than a typical Strat or other style however for seated comfort.

Anyone playing these types of guitars notice a difference in this regard?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got a theory. I only play seated w/o a strap and have a Gibson 335 clone, an LP clone and a couple Fender teles. All of them tend to cause my right arm to cramp up after prolonged playing. I end up wanting to move the guitar from my right leg to my left to allow the right arm to stretch out and relieve the pressure.

Maybe it's just me getting old but it seems that the angle my forearm makes with my upper arm doesn't promote comfort in the long term. I find myself gradually moving my picking position closer to the neck causing arm mutes and other bad habits.

After much study, it appears that this has been corrected in a few guitar models like the Firebird and Jaguar styles.

Here's a real ergonomically correct model - the Lace Helix:

Even it doesn't mention that the lower waist cut-out is more rearward than a typical Strat or other style however for seated comfort.

Anyone playing these types of guitars notice a difference in this regard?

I like that guitar in the link.

• Members

Here's a couple more examples. I should explain the color code maybe. Based on my theory, the red is worst, yellow slightly better and green the best. As you can see, the Strat is about the same as all the rest.

BTW, shredtilurded - nice avatar! :thu:

• Members

I'm interested in this topic as well. I practice seated exclusively, because my room is rather cramped (and I guess I'm just lazy). So far I only have regular Strat-shaped guitars. I've often wondered whether the off-set bodies like the Jazzmasters are actually better for seated practice. Looking forward to everyone's comments and experiences in this.

• Members

Not really answering the question but try placing between your legs in a semi-classical position. I have an old body, a 335, a strat style body and a hollowbody pr esque, all of which are much better in that position than across the RIGHT leg. I find it is less stressful on the fretting wrist also.

• Members

Here's a couple more. SG looks good in this regard. The Jazzmaster should be about the same offset as the Jag shown below I believe.

Elvis here is holding a Jazzmaster as a good reference to arm angle for comparison.

• Members

Look guys and gals, the only way to go IS to switch to your left leg. The right arm falls naturally into line, you can bring the neck up a litte instead of straight and have good wrist angles, and your legs hold the guitar in place. You also don't have to lean over.

Just one man's opinion.

• Members

Those Teisco and the Schecters really do share a remarkable similarity in body design.

Schecter has been using that body style on at least 2 models (Revenger & Avenger), and the Banshee headstock has obviously been inspired by Teisco as well.

Banshee-Marine-Metallic-lg.jpg

The other guitar next to my Avenger is a Teisco clone :)

• Members

Someone at Schecter must be a fan of Teisco.

They "metal'ed or pointy'ed" quite easily. It works well.

I had Tempest (and a bit of Stargazer) GAS for the longest time, kind of let it pass. Now Revengers/Avengers ... I feel the urge to gawk at them bubbling up. How's the weight of yours?

• Members

Look guys and gals, the only way to go IS to switch to your left leg. The right arm falls naturally into line, you can bring the neck up a litte instead of straight and have good wrist angles, and your legs hold the guitar in place. You also don't have to lean over.

Just one man's opinion.

And I agree but there is more to it! The reason the classical guitar sits on the left leg is that between that, putting the back of the body against your right leg, the top of the guitar against your body/chest, you have three points of stability (the MINIMUM for anybody who knows anything about engineering). Putting the guitar on your right leg creates hard-to-control rotation perpendicular to the length of the guitar (neck towards/away from your body) as well as rotation 'normally' off the top of the guitar. Not saying that it can't be done but it can get uncomfortable and you may spend more time trying to stabilize the guitar than playing it. There is strain there whether you realize it or not.

Don't believe me. Do the classical setup (properly) and you can remove both hands completely from the guitar and the guitar sits there. Do the right-leg setup and watch the guitar sway or drop at the headstock.

• Members

Someone at Schecter must be a fan of Teisco.

They "metal'ed or pointy'ed" quite easily. It works well.

I had Tempest (and a bit of Stargazer) GAS for the longest time, kind of let it pass. Now Revengers/Avengers ... I feel the urge to gawk at them bubbling up. How's the weight of yours?

It's not a heavy guitar, probably similar to a strat, or even less. I'm on my way to work so I can't check.

Archived