What's the closest fender neck to a 50's Les Paul?

billybilly

• Members

Look for 'D-neck', most modern strats are (flat) C-neck.. The letter stands for the shape of the neck, thus making a D-neck thicker than a C-neck.. As mentioned the Baja tele, and SRV sig have suck necks.. I'm sure you can find something similar at warmoth though, those are really good necks too..

www.warmoth.com

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I love the neck of a 50's Gibson. I find modern strat neck too thin. Does anyone know who sell's a 50's gibson shaped strat neck?

Thanks

I don't know if anyone makes an Fender neck to Gibson specs. For Fender, the fattest one is the '51 Tele and that is probably a bit fatter than the 50's Gibson. Another one that I like is the Fender U shaped neck that you find on the '70's Strat and newer Hot Rod Tele. The '62 Hot Rod Strat is not as big but it's a nice "large C", probably the fattest Strat in their standard post-70's line. Fender also has a '54 Custom Shop Strat that has a fat neck, probably similar to the '51 Tele. It's pretty fat.

So, there is nothing exactly like Gibson, but there are some that a 50's Gibson player will find comfortable. The biggest difference a Gibson player will notice, more than the fatness, is that Fenders have a different neck radius. Usual modern Fenders are 9.5 radius and Gibson is 12" I think. That might matter to you more than the fatness of a neck.

• Members

the 58 is big. the 59 is normal. the 60 is too thin.

go play real ones and tell me that.

Real 58 - 59s are near identicle. Any difference is just the natural variation from one hand made guitar to the next. Custom shop is pretty close on this. Gibson USA is out to lunch when it comes to neck shapes. They are all small.

More or less the same with Fender. If you want the true Vintage shapes, you more or less have to go custom shop.

51 nocaster is probably the most common one you will find out there with a larger neck. Also, the FIRST Jeff Beck Strats had nice big vintage necks.

• Members

Real 58 - 59s are near identicle. Any difference is just the natural variation from one hand made guitar to the next. Custom shop is pretty close on this. Gibson USA is out to lunch when it comes to neck shapes. They are all small.

The ultimate LP geek book -- Beauty of the Burst -- actually has a chart on page 220 with measurements of 50 LPs made between '58 and '60.

Only 8 of them are '58s, with 1st fret thickness between 22.4 and 23.4 mm and 11th fret thickness between 24.5 and 25.3mm.

9 of them are '60s, with 1st fret thickness between 20.0 and 23.1 mm and 11th fret thickness between 21.9 and 25.2mm.

The rest are '59s, with 1st fret thickness between 20.6 and 23.4 mm and 11th fret thickness between 24.0 and 25.4mm.

Someone else more OCD or less ADD than I am is welcome to calculate means & medians, but No Soul's assessment seems right. The numbers are all over the place.

I need a very thick neck because I have big hands and tendonitis / arthritis in my left. The Warmoth "Fatback" profile suits me very well. I don't have a '58-59 RI Les Paul for comparison, but I do have a couple of early-80s Gibsons with pretty thick necks: the Warmoth Fatback compares very well to the baseball bat on my Explorer (which may be a bit thicker actually), and is a bit thicker than the one on my Firebird.

If you need a thick neck, just look for one that's at least 0.95" at the 1st and 12th frets, and 1.0" is better.

Archived